In my previous post, I mentioned that we got garlic scapes in our CSA share. My first thought was to add them to a salad, so I bit off a piece of one to try it, and it was VERY garlicky. I needed a new plan. After some googling, I found out that garlic scapes lose their strong flavor when you cook them and when you freeze them.
So I came up with a few super easy garlic scapes recipes:
1. Vegetable-Loaded Scrambled Eggs For Two
- 2 garlic scapes, washed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 asparagus stalks, washed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 eggs (or 3 eggs and 2 egg whites), beaten
- Olive oil for cooking
- Salt & Pepper
Add olive oil to a pan; saute garlic scapes and asparagus until they turn a beautiful bright green color and are crisp-tender. Add the tomatoes, and saute another two minutes, until tomatoes start softening up.