These personal Shrimp Naan Pizzas are ready in under 20 minutes for a fresh, delicious meal on a busy day.
Here is the ultimate weeknight dinner idea: Shrimp Naan Pizzas.
I think that's all I need to say, so just skip right down to the recipe.
Just kidding! Us food bloggers always have a lot to say about our recipes.
And if you've never used naan bread to make pizza, then PLEASE keep reading. I am going to convince you to give it a try.
Naan is perfect for pizza
Naan is an Indian flatbread that makes the PERFECT pizza crust. It is a pillowy soft flatbread that bakes into a perfect combination of crispy on the edges and still soft on the inside if you bake it for 10-15 minutes at 350F. Because of this, the toppings you use for these naan pizzas should already be cooked (no raw chicken or shrimp!), but more on that later.
But doesn't it taste like Indian food?
Plain naan does NOT have any Indian spices or flavors, so you don't have to worry about odd flavor combinations. Of course, you can always buy garlic or onion naan to level up your pizza.
Where to find naan
Most large supermarkets have packaged naan in the bread section - usually off to the side on its own little stand, or the international aisle.
If you really can't find naan, then look for any type of flatbread or even pita bread for this recipe. Or make this easy 2 ingredient dough for this pizza. And ask your supermarket to stock some naan.
Toppings for naan pizzas
Just like most pizzas, you can use ANY toppings you like for naan pizzas. In this recipe, I used marinara sauce, shrimp (more on that later!), fresh mozzarella, sliced grape tomatoes, and fresh basil. I kept it simple. It's like a shrimp margherita pizza.
It's a GOOD COMBINATION. Trust me.
Shrimp on pizza
I always recommend buying raw shrimp and cooking it yourself vs buying cooked shrimp. You can add so much fresh flavor when cooking shrimp yourself, and it only takes 5 minutes. Literally. It's worth the extra time for me.
That said, you have to cook the shrimp before putting it on the pizza. If you put raw shrimp on the pizza:
(1) it will release juices as the pizza bakes and you don't want a soggy pizza with shrimp juice, do you?
(2) the shrimp might not cook all the way through in the time that it takes for the cheese to melt. You don't want raw shrimp pizza, do you?
For this recipe, I season the shrimp with lemon pepper seasoning (add salt, if yours doesn't have salt!), or you can add a pinch of garlic powder instead. Whatever you like!
Other topping ideas
Other pizza topping ideas that will work great with shrimp pizzas:
- Drizzle of sriracha
- Chopped scallions
- Handful of baby spinach before baking
- Handful of baby arugula after baking
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Roasted red pepper
Bake the naan pizzas
Once the shrimp is cooked, pile the toppings onto the naan flatbreads, bake the pizza for ~10-15 minutes, and enjoy!
Looking for more easy flatbread and pizza recipes? Give these a try:
- Grilled naan bread pizza
- BBQ pulled pork and asparagus pizza
- Caramelized onion, fig, and goat cheese flatbread- using a 2 ingredient dough recipe!
- Basil pesto pizza with tomatoes and mozzarella - using the 2 ingredient dough again!
- Artichoke and roasted red pepper flatbread- 2 ingredient dough... again
- Greek-inspired pizza - using a super easy 15 minute yeast pizza dough
- Veggie loaded breakfast flatbread
- Leftover chicken tikka masala naan pizza
Know a busy mom who NEEDS to see this recipe? Share it with her on Facebook using the share buttons below! And don't forget to save this recipe on Pinterest for later:
Shrimp Naan Pizzas
- 10 raw medium shrimp peeled, tails removed, and deveined (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning or garlic powder and salt
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 naan breads
- ½ cup marinara Sauce
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella slices
- 10 grape tomatoes cut into quarters (or cherry tomatoes)
- 8 fresh basil leaves thinly sliced (or use ½ tsp dried basil or Italian seasoning)
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss the shrimp with lemon pepper seasoning (or garlic powder), add salt if your seasoning doesn't have salt. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet and cook shrimp about 2 minutes per side, or until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Assemble the pizzas on a large baking sheet: Top each naan bread with half the marinara sauce, mozzarella slices, grape tomatoes, shrimp, and basil leaves. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the pizzas are heated through. Garnish with the remaining fresh basil leaves.