Making trout in the air fryer is by far the easiest, tastiest way to cook trout! Air Fryer Trout always comes out to tender, flaky, and juicy on the inside, and flavorful on the outside.
Keep reading below for the easiest recipe ever, plus lots of tips and serving ideas for an easy trout dinner!
Air fried fish
Once you air fry fish, you might never go back to pan frying or baking it. This air fryer trout is no exception!
Air frying trout is my favorite way to cook it. Here's why:
- It NEVER comes out dry! Air frying creates a thin crust on the outside of the trout, which seals in all the juices and flavor on the inside.
- It's practically impossible to overcook trout in the air fryer, for the reason above. I mean, if you cook it for twice the recommended time, then yes, it will be overcooked. But I've overcooked it by a few minutes (and left the trout fillets in the hot air fryer), and it stayed just as juicy, flaky, and tender.
- Less cleanup than pan frying and no big sheet pans to wash!
- No need to stand over the stove!
Air fried trout makes an amazing EASY weeknight dinner. You can prep a salad or get your side dishes ready while the air fryer does its thing!
I love using my Instant Pot Vortex Air Fryer because I can fit 2 large trout fillets on one tray. If I am cooking for a crowd, I can air fry in 2 trays and just rotate them halfway through (meaning, I put the one from the top rack on the bottom, and vice versa).
If you can't find trout in stores, you can substitute salmon for this recipe.
Are you ready to get started?
- 1.5 lb of steelhead trout fillet (mine was 2 pieces, try to get the thin fillets so they cook faster and more evenly)
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite seafood rub, such as Red Lobster Seafood Seasoning, Magic Seafood Seasoning, or even Old Bay. Taco seasoning or fajita seasoning works great too, if you don't have seafood rub
- Fresh lime or lemon for serving
How to make trout in the air fryer
This recipe is super simple! Pop the seasoned trout in the air fryer (or put it in a pan), and prepare a quick salad or salsa for topping the trout while the trout is air frying.
Step 1: Sprinkle the top of the trout with seafood seasoning. Leave the skin on if the skin the trout has skin. It will come off easily after the trout is cooked.
Step 2: Preheat the air fryer to 400F. Place the seasoned trout skin side down in the air fryer tray. If you want, brush or spray with oil, but it's not necessary. Air fry the trout for 8-10 minutes, or until fully cooked.
Step 3: Serve immediately, squeezing fresh lemon or lime juice over the trout and with your favorite sides. See ideas below!
What to serve with trout
Trout is fantastic in tacos (try these trout tacos with mango salsa!). Or try them in lettuce leaves, or on their own with mango salsa for a low carb trout dinner.
Pretty much any side dishes—starchy or veggie—pairs well with trout!
Make trout bites
You can also cut the trout fillets into ~1-1.5-inch pieces to make trout bites, just like I do in my salmon bites recipe. Simply air fry them for 5-6 minutes, or until fully cooked. Trout bites make a fun snack or appetizer!
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Air Fryer Trout
- 1.5 lb steelhead trout fillets - (mine was 2 pieces, try to get the thin fillets so they cook faster and more evenly), leave the skin on if they have skin
- 1 tablespoon seafood rub - or to taste, such as Red Lobster Seafood Seasoning, Magic Seafood Seasoning, or Old Bay
- fresh lime or lemon - for serving
- Sprinkle the top of the trout with seafood rub. Leave the skin on if the skin the trout has skin. It will come off easily after the trout is cooked.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F if your air fryer requires preheating. Place the seasoned trout skin side down in the air fryer tray. If you want, brush or spray with oil, but it's not necessary. Air fry the trout for 8-10 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Serve immediately, squeezing fresh lemon or lime juice over the trout and with your favorite sides. See ideas below!
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.