Last updated on April 24th, 2018.
A side dish of perfectly roasted Asparagus with Crispy Topping made with bacon, Parmesan, and fresh parsley. Easy, delicious, and a gorgeous presentation!
This post contains affiliate links.
Earlier this week in my previous post (healthy peanut butter fruit dip) I promised you all an amazing asparagus recipe, and here it is. We actually made this a little while ago to bring to a family dinner and I haven’t gotten around to posting this until now. Hey, life’s been busy – work is busy, and weekends are busy with house hunting and family things. Aldo’s niece is having a science themed birthday party, and guess who are the scientists in the family? Aldo and I. So we’ve been practicing making slime and elephant toothpaste and getting all the supplies ready. It’s going to be a fun party and I am excited that his niece asked for a science party instead of a princess party. Obviously a 6 year old girl’s birthday party choice is no indication of whether or not she will go into a STEM career, but making slime is more fun than singing the song from Frozen over and over, so we’ll take it. 🙂
(Side note: we get to attend the kids birthday party AND the family birthday party on Saturday, so we get to eat cake twice in one day. Win!!)
But back to this asparagus! It’s a great side dish and it is very easy to make. The crispy topping takes the dish to that special level that makes people ‘ooh‘ and ‘ahh‘ over a dish, so it is perfect for dinner parties or a special dinner at home. And of course, crispy bits of bacon in the topping are the best part. Because sure, asparagus is good, but bacon is better. Everyone knows that.
So give this great side dish a try. I promise you won’t regret it.
Asparagus with Crispy Topping
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a casserole dish or a baking tray with olive oil and lay out the asparagus in an even layer. Season well with salt and pepper, and give everything a shake to spread the seasoning. Top with lemon slices. Roast the asparagus at 375F for 15 minutes, or until done to your liking.
- While the asparagus is roasting, cook the bacon. Once it is cooked, place it on a paper towel to absorb extra grease and allow to cool off. Crumble the bacon.
- In a small food processor, combine the bacon, parsley, lemon juice, and Parmesan and pulse for several seconds until everything is broken up and mixed together.
- Transfer the bacon mixture to a medium bowl and stir in the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Top the asparagus with crispy bacon topping, turn on the broiler, and broil for 2 minutes. Watch closely so it doesn't burn.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley, grated parmesan, and lemon slices for garnish.