This Breakfast Veggie Bake is a GREAT way to start your day with a healthy vegetable-loaded breakfast!
So my mission was to combine the healthy and delicious all in one breakfast. I had a bunch of veggies in my fridge and I started chopping away while thinking of the best way to make this into a breakfast dish.
And that's how the Breakfast Veggie Bake Surprise was born.
I know, I know. You probably not want to hear the word ''surprise" when it comes to your breakfast. But trust me on this - some food surprises are good.
This dish was delicious, crunchy, flavorful, very healthy, and we each had well over a serving size of all kinds of vegetables for breakfast. I'd say that's a good way to start your day.
I love that this breakfast veggie bake is individually baked, so that you can make as many as you need.
Breakfast Veggie Bake Surprise
Makes: 2 servings (can easily be doubled!). Total time: 40 minutes.
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 8 stalks of asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces, ends discarded
- 4-6 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small bell pepper (I used red), chopped ito 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4-6 slices of ham, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread or 1 whole wheat bun/roll
- 1 oz cheese (I used sharp white cheddar), sliced into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon butter, thinly sliced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Optional: 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or chopped green onion
- Optional: truffle oil to drizzle on the finished dish
Special equipment: oven-safe bowls to make individual portions, or prepare all the veggies in an oven-safe skillet or cast iron pan so you can transfer it to the oven to bake the egg.
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray your oven-safe bowls with non-stick spray. Place one piece of bread at the bottom of the bowl, or if you are using a bun, place one half of the bun on the bottom of the bowl and squish it down a bit. Place the butter slices on the bread/bun.
4. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes, or until the egg whites are cooked and the yolk is runny. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes so the bowl cools down.
5. For serving, drizzle with truffle oil and/or sprinkle with some chopped parsley or green onions. Serve with toast for dipping into the runny egg.