Are you ready for the most flavorful pasta you'll ever have?? This Cajun Chicken Pasta has the tastiest creamy tomato sauce and is loaded with Cajun-spiced chicken and fresh veggies. It's very easy to make and will have you licking the plate clean!
We LOVE Cajun flavors around here, as well as saucy flavorful pasta. I have a few traditional Cajun recipes on this blog (see my Instant Pot Gumbo or my Sausage Jambalaya) but I also love to switch things up and combine cuisines to make something totally new and flavorful.
Enter this Cajun Chicken Pasta.
Cajun flavors + creamy tomato pasta sauce is simply the best of two cuisines. I add a few veggies, some andouille sausage, and combine pasta with an EASY sauce made with jarred pasta sauce and heavy cream. Such a good combination of flavors that will have you reaching for more... and more.
Don't forget to grab a baguette to sop up the sauce!
This pasta is a little spicy, but the spice from the Cajun flavors is balanced out by the creamy tomato sauce. We love this Cajun Pasta not only because it is just simply so so delicious, but because it can be totally customized to what you like.
Want more veggies in your life? Double the bell peppers and cherry tomatoes, or stir in a few handfuls of baby spinach until it wilts.
Want to add some smoky bacon? Go for it!
No andouille sausage on hand? No problem, use kielbasa instead or just skip it.
Got shrimp you want to use up? Use shrimp instead of chicken! (we LOVE sausage and shrimp together!)
Related recipe: Creamy Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 2 cups uncooked pasta, any shape
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed, for cooking
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium chicken breasts, cut into bite size (1 lb)
- 2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, to taste
- 8 oz andouille sausage, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup pasta water (from cooking the pasta) or chicken stock
- 1 cup jarred pasta sauce (such as marinara, or your favorite flavor)
- 1 cup heavy cream (aka whipping cream or double cream)
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, diced (for garnish), or use basil
Related recipe: Cajun Shrimp and Vegetable Pasta
Ingredient notes and tips
Cajun seasoning: If you're not sure how spicy you want your pasta, you can start with 1-2 teaspoons seasoning and stir in more at the end.
Cherry tomatoes: These are completely optional and not necessarily a traditional ingredient, but I like the burst of freshness from the tomatoes.
Bell peppers: You can use one color bell pepper if you don't want half of a red pepper and half of a green pepper leftover after making this pasta. Or just double the peppers and use 2 whole ones!
Pasta water: If you forget to reserve the pasta water and drain all the water by accident, that's OK! If you have some chicken broth (or ½ cup water and ½ bouillon cube or ½ teaspoon no chicken seasoning base) that would work in place of the pasta water. If you don't have stock or bouillon on hand, just use water and add a pinch of salt for seasoning.
Shredded cheese: This is optional, but makes for a nice cheesy pasta sauce. You can use shredded cheddar, freshly grated Parmesan, or any other melt-able cheese you like.
Related recipe: Cajun Shrimp with Cheesy Grits
Step 1: Cook the pasta to al dente in salted water, following the cooking time on the pasta package. Save ½ cup of pasta water from cooking the pasta, then drain the rest of the pasta. (Alternatively, you can use chicken stock instead of saving ½ cup of the pasta water.)
Step 2: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.
Step 3: Add the diced chicken breast to the pan, and season with Cajun seasoning. (Tip: use less seasoning at first if you're not sure how spicy yours is, you can always add more seasoning at the end to spice it up.) Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the chicken is mostly cooked.
Step 4: Add the sliced sausage and peppers, and cook for another minute.
Step 5: Add the cooked pasta and pasta water, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until most of the water evaporated. Add the tomato sauce and heat for 1 minutes.
Step 6: Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream and cherry tomatoes. Adjust with more seasoning or salt and pepper, if necessary. Stir in shredded cheese and fresh herbs. Serve warm.
Related recipe: Creamy Grits with Cajun Roasted Sweet Potato
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 2 cups uncooked penne - or any shape
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion - diced
- 1 lb chicken breast - (about 2 chicken breasts), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning - or to taste
- 8 oz andouille sausage - sliced
- ½ green bell pepper - sliced
- ½ red bell pepper - sliced
- ½ cup reserved pasta water - (from cooking the pasta) or chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato-based pasta sauce - (such as marinara, or your favorite flavor)
- 1 cup heavy cream - (aka whipping cream or double cream)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese - or Parmesan (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves - finely minced (for garnish), or use basil
- Cook the pasta to al dente in salted water, following the cooking time on the pasta package. Save ½ cup of pasta water from cooking the pasta, then drain the rest of the pasta.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the diced chicken breast to the pan, and season with Cajun seasoning. (see note below for spice tips.) Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the chicken is mostly cooked.
- Add the sliced sausage and peppers, and cook for another minute.
- Add the cooked pasta and pasta water, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until most of the water evaporated. Add the tomato sauce and heat for 1 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream and cherry tomatoes. Stir in shredded cheese, if using, Adjust with more seasoning or salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve warm, garnishing with fresh parsley.
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.