Hey y'all! I am excited to share with you one of my favorite recipes from the last month. This Cauliflower Chorizo Casserole with Mixed Beans is just the best.
Healthy cauliflower, spicy chorizo, hearty (and heart-healthy!) beans, all covered in yummy gooey cheese. It is perfection. Super easy to make and very filling, and I just can't get enough of it.
The Cauliflower Chorizo Casserole is amazing fresh out of the oven, and it's also great to take to lunch the next day as leftovers to enjoy the yummy goodness all over again.
I created this recipe for Randall Beans, and then I made it again... and then I've been experimenting with different versions of this casserole - substitute ground beef and taco seasoning instead of chorizo and chili, use kidney beans instead of mixed beans, use different cheese blends... the possibilities are endless, but the cauliflower has made an appearance in every version.
This is the kind of cooking I like the most - quick, easy, and very versatile. Once I have the recipe down, I can substitute some of the ingredients but still follow the same process and know that whatever I cook up will be delicious!
By the way, if you want to see all my cauliflower recipes, you can find them in one place here: Cauliflower Recipes
You might also love these other comfort food recipes:
If you enjoyed this recipe, please let me know with a comment and a star rating below! And don't forget to save it for later on Pinterest:
Cauliflower Chorizo Casserole with Mixed Beans
- 1 lb cauliflower florets - (1/2 large cauliflower, about 5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - , finely diced
- 1 garlic clove - , minced
- 1 lb uncooked chorizo sausage - , removed from casing
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 15-oz cans beans - (mixed or white beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional garnish: extra sliced olives - , chopped scallions, chopped cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut the cauliflower into small bite-sized florets and microwave for 8-10 minutes, or until fork tender.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, add the minced garlic and diced onion, and saute for 3 minutes. Add the chorizo sausage and allow to brown on all sides, breaking the chorizo up with a spatula as it cooks. Add the oregano and chili powder and continue to cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently, or until the chorizo is fully cooked. Stir in the beans, sliced olives, and the cooked cauliflower florets.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2.5-quart casserole dish and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Top with sliced olives, if desired. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with chopped cilantro leaves and scallions if desired. Allow to stand for 5 minutes and serve warm.
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.
Retha Renee Sandler
Monday 1st of June 2020
Green or black olives for this recipe? Does not indicate which in the ingredients.
Monday 1st of June 2020
Hi Retha! Either one - whichever you prefer. I used green olives.
Sarah | Away From the Box
Sunday 13th of November 2016
I am always interested in new ways to use cauliflower (who knew there were so many?) so I really like this recipe. And I LOVE chorizo. Those pics are begging me to put a little spoonful of salsa on top and eat it right up. Looks delicious!
Little Cooking Tips
Wednesday 2nd of November 2016
Hi Kate! How are you sweetie? We hope you and Aldo are doing great, and you're OK! We missed you, we were "offline" in the last months for various reasons (not good ones) but now we're OK and happy to get back to blogging as well:) So it was time to start visiting our favorite bloggers once again. And of course you're among the best and dearest. On to your recipe now:) Mixing beans with chorizo must be great, as we do the same with loukaniko and cured meats here in Greece. But combining cauliflower with them is something we never thought of and are very very interested to try out. Thank you for the delicious idea! Sending you lots of hugs from Athens, Panos and Mirella
Sunday 23rd of October 2016
Oh my god, this might be my Official New Favorite Thing. I love cauliflower and I love chorizo. And seriously, who doesn't love cheese. This is all good stuff as far as I am concerned.