Last updated on April 17th, 2018.
Oh my goodness you guys. I was trying to find some kind of chicken recipe as an inspiration for some boneless chicken thighs we bought the other day. I was doing a general search on pinterest and was leaning towards some kind of sweet glaze… and then I came across this recipe from Damn Delicious. How good does that look?!? Forget the glaze, I want a creamy sauce!
So instead of trying to reinvent the wheel I just followed her recipe, and this is one of the best chicken dishes I have ever made! (I am still partial to chicken Francese because I love lemony flavors.) This came out SO GOOD. The chicken was perfect. And the sauce… oh my gosh that sauce. I can’t get enough of it! We had this with some leftover rice and roasted green beans (roasted at 400F while the chicken was in the oven – perfect timing!) and I poured the sauce all over the string beans and the rice. And then I dipped some bread in it. And then I ate it with a spoon until Aldo pulled me away from it.
The next day I steamed some broccoli and tossed it in the leftover sauce, that was also delicious.
Chicken with Sun-dried Tomato Herb Cream Sauce
Makes: 4-5 servings. Total time: 40 minutes.
- 8-10 boneless chicken thighs, skin and extra fat removed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil for cooking, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (any kind, drained if in oil), sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- Optional: fresh basil for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan (or skip the baking pan if you have a skillet that will go straight from stove-top to oven).
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper and place in the hot skillet to cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until both sides are nicely browned. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan, add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, sun-dried tomatoes, 1/4 cup of Parmesan, and the herbs. Bring to a gentle boil then lower the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
4. If using an oven-safe skillet, add the chicken back in and top with remaining Parmesan. If using a separate baking pan, arrange the chicken in the baking pan, pour the creamy sauce and all the sun-dried tomato bits over the chicken, and top with remaining Parmesan.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked (>165F) and the sauce is bubbly. Remove from heat, sprinkle with fresh basil, and serve hot.