Make this super festive Veggies and Chorizo Skillet for dinner tonight! It's loaded with fresh veggies, lots of flavor, and topped with CHEESE! You've got to try making this one-pan dish.
This Veggies and Chorizo Skillet is inspired by a recent breakfast we had during our ski trip.
On our way home from skiing in Killington, VT, Aldo and I stopped at Bob's Diner to have breakfast. I had a bacon-sausage-home fries breakfast skillet with 2 eggs on top, and it was THE. MOST. DELICIOUS. BREAKFAST. EVER.
The breakfast skillet was served in a small cast iron skillet with free coffee refills and genuine smiles from the server. I love it when small town places end up having amazing food.
Inspired by Bob's Skillet, I decided to make a similar dish at home, but just a tad healthier with all the vegetables added in and a lot less grease.
Related recipe: Chickpea Chorizo Stew
I used chorizo sausage which has a ton of flavor and added a few of my go-to veggies: mushrooms, bell peppers, and grape tomatoes. The whole thing is topped with some cheese and popped into the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese and really maximize the flavors.
It was good. Good good good. This dish turned out so colorful - and festive!
I used this cast iron skillet for the recipe.
We ate this veggie and chorizo skillet over quinoa. You can also serve this dish over rice, with pasta, or with a fried egg on top.
A runny fried egg would be amazing on this - you can also grab a piece of toast to dip into the yolk and to sop up all the juices.
I am pretty sure this will be my go-to dinner from now on when I don't feel like fussing with dinner. The whole thing took 25 minutes from start to finish, and it was super delicious.
Looking for other veggie-loaded skillet recipes? Try these reader favorites:
- Butternut squash spinach skillet
- Chicken sausage and veggie stir fry
- Sweet potato & sausage skillet
- Pulled pork sweet potato hash
- Garlic chili chicken and peppers skillet
- 20-minute sausage and shrimp skillet with peppers
If you liked this recipe (and honestly, how can you not??) please leave me a comment below! I'd love to hear if you made it.
And don't forget to leave a rating in the recipe card below and save this recipe for later on Pinterest:
Veggie and Chorizo Skillet
- 1 lb chorizo sausage - , raw, removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion - , thinly sliced
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms - , cleaned and sliced
- 2 bell peppers - , seeds removed and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (I used red and green)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes - , sliced in half
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese - (or your favorite melting cheese)
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons chopped scallions or cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or any other oven-safe pan). Add the chorizo sausage and the sliced onions, and stir to break up the sausage. Stir fry for 5 minutes, continuing to break up the sausage with a spatula.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, stir, and let them cook for 3 minutes. Add the bell peppers and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Add the sliced grape tomatoes, stir to mix everything together, and turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese, and bake at 450F for 5 minutes. Carefully remove from heat and garnish with chopped scallions and/or cilantro. Serve over rice or quinoa. Or add a fried egg on top and soak up the yumminess with some toast.
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.