Last updated on January 14th, 2020.
Make this super festive Veggies and Chorizo Skillet for dinner tonight! It’s loaded with fresh veggies, lots of flavor, and topped with CHEESE! You’ve got to try making this one-pan dish.
This Veggies and Chorizo Skillet is inspired by a recent breakfast we had during our ski trip.
On our way home from skiing in Killington, VT, Aldo and I stopped at Bob’s Diner to have breakfast. I had a bacon-sausage-home fries breakfast skillet with 2 eggs on top, and it was THE. MOST. DELICIOUS. BREAKFAST. EVER.
The breakfast skillet was served in a small cast iron skillet with free coffee refills and genuine smiles from the server. I love it when small town places end up having amazing food.
Inspired by Bob’s Skillet, I decided to make a similar dish at home, but just a tad healthier with all the vegetables added in and a lot less grease.
I used chorizo sausage which has a ton of flavor and added a few of my go-to veggies: mushrooms, bell peppers, and grape tomatoes. The whole thing is topped with some cheese and popped into the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese and really maximize the flavors.
It was good. Good good good. This dish turned out so colorful – and festive!
I used this cast iron skillet for the recipe.
We ate this veggie and chorizo skillet over quinoa. You can also serve this dish over rice, with pasta, or with a fried egg on top.
Oh yes, a runny fried egg would be amazing on this – you can also grab a piece of toast to dip into the yolk and to sop up all the juices.
I am pretty sure this will be my go-to dinner from now on when I don’t feel like fussing with dinner. The whole thing took 25 minutes from start to finish, and it was super delicious.
Looking for other veggie-loaded skillet recipes? Try these reader favorites:
- Butternut squash spinach skillet
- Sweet potato & sausage skillet
- Garlic chili chicken and peppers skillet
- 20-minute sausage and shrimp skillet with peppers
If you liked this recipe (and honestly, how can you not??) please leave me a comment below! I’d love to hear if you made it.
And don’t forget to leave a rating in the recipe card below and save this recipe for later on Pinterest:
Veggie and Chorizo Skillet
- 1 lb chorizo sausage , raw, removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , thinly sliced
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms , cleaned and sliced
- 2 bell peppers , seeds removed and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (I used red and green)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes , sliced in half
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (or your favorite melting cheese)
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons chopped scallions or cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or any other oven-safe pan). Add the chorizo sausage and the sliced onions, and stir to break up the sausage. Stir fry for 5 minutes, continuing to break up the sausage with a spatula.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, stir, and let them cook for 3 minutes. Add the bell peppers and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Add the sliced grape tomatoes, stir to mix everything together, and turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese, and bake at 450F for 5 minutes. Carefully remove from heat and garnish with chopped scallions and/or cilantro. Serve over rice or quinoa. Or add a fried egg on top and soak up the yumminess with some toast.