Make this easy delicious seafood appetizer to spread on toasted baguettes. This creamy shrimp and crab spread will become everyone’s favorite party appetizer!
This recipe contains affiliate links, which means that Babaganosh gets a small commission if you purchase anything through these links, at no extra cost to you! It is a great way to support this blog so I can keep posting more delicious recipes. See my disclosure.
I cannot believe it’s December already. Just a few more weeks of work and then we are off for our winter shutdown from work.
It is so nice that Aldo and I work at the same company – we both have the time between Christmas and New Year’s off.
It will be awesome to enjoy this holiday season after working on our house renovation for the last month and a half.
It will be so special to see our friends after literally not doing anything fun for the last month – we’ve spent all our time in home improvement stores and in dusty construction clothes.
I cannot wait until our house renovations are finished. We can then have people over for a house warming party, and just for entertaining in general.
Even though the house will not be ready to have people over for the holidays, I have been trying out a bunch of new recipes for entertaining. Mostly because it’s an excuse to eat appetizers for dinner. 🙂
One of the favorite appetizer recipes I have created recently is this Crab and Shrimp Seafood Appetizer to serve on a toasted crusty baguette. It is SO delicious, so easy to make, very impressive, and best of all? It feels fancy and sophisticated and pairs perfectly with a crisp white wine!
This creamy, savory seafood spread is made with generous chunks of shrimp and lump crab meat. It is then spread over sliced baguettes.
The baguettes are then popped into the oven for a few minutes. This will really bring out the creaminess, richness, and flavor of the seafood spread. And it will make the baguettes nice and crisp on the edges.
This recipe is the perfect appetizer to me because it is a great combination of flavors and textures: Crispy baguette, creamy seafood spread, tender shrimp and crab meat. And it’s easy to make.
And the best part?? It pairs perfectly with a crisp glass of wine. In fact, I would recommend opening a bottle of wine while making these. I’d say it’s a perfect appetizer!
What will I need to make this seafood appetizer?
1. A fresh baguette. Make sure you give it a good squeeze at the store to make sure it doesn’t feel old and stale. You’ll want it to be soft. The edges will crisp up beautifully in the oven, and the inside part will remain soft and will practically melt in your mouth.
2. Crab and Shrimp. (Obviously.) I used canned White-Lump Crab Meat because I wanted to make things easy on myself. Just 1 can is enough for this recipe. And even though crab meat is a little pricey, the canned meat is still a more economical alternative to fresh crab meat, with a lot less work.
Even though I used canned crab meat, I do always insist on buying raw shrimp and cooking it instead of buying frozen cooked shrimp. I find that the texture of pre-cooked shrimp is just not as good. I don’t like rubbery overcooked shrimp. It takes only a couple of minutes to cook shrimp, so I feel it’s worth the extra work.
3. Large baking sheet or cookie pan. Definitely do not skip the baking step in this recipe! 15 x 21 inches such as this one is a good size.
You might also like these other easy-to-make appetizers:
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! And don’t forget to give it a rating in the recipe card below and save it for later on Pinterest.
Seafood Appetizer Spread with Toasted Baguettes
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp (fresh or thawed if frozen) , cleaned and deveined (about 10 jumbo shrimp)
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small garlic clove , finely grated
- 1 6-oz can lump crab meat ,drained
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves , finely chopped
- Optional: Pinch of red pepper flakes , to taste
- 1 French baguette
- Preheat your oven to 425F. Get out a large baking sheet (no need to grease it!).
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and cook the shrimp about 2 minutes per side, or until fully cooked. Set aside and roughly chop into smaller pieces (about 1/4 - 1/2 inch) once the shrimp cools.
- While the shrimp cools, prepare the rest of the dish: In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave the cream cheese for about 40 seconds, until it is softened but not fully melted. Add the Parmesan cheese, drained crab meat, grated garlic, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Add the chopped cooked shrimp. Mix well.
- Cut a baguette into slices, about 1/2 - 3/4 inch in thickness. Generously top each slice with about 1-2 tablespoons of the seafood spread. Place the baguette slices on a large baking tray. Place in the oven at 425F for 4-5 minutes, or until the baguette is toasted and the seafood spread has softened. Top with additional parsley or red pepper flakes for garnish, if desired. Serve warm.