Make this easy delicious seafood appetizer to spread on toasted baguettes. This creamy shrimp and crab spread will become everyone's favorite party appetizer!
More seafood appetizers: Red Caviar Toasts
Seafood spread crostini
We've been planning and trying appetizers for holiday parties, and this seafood spread crostini is always on the top of the list because it's just such a great finger food appetizer.
It's fancy enough for parties, but also really easy to make. It has a delicious combination of shrimp and crab meat in a creamy cheesy spread that is perfect on top of a toasted baguette.
Related recipe: Roasted Grapes and Whipped Blue Cheese Crostini
Try this other amazing baguette appetizer: Tomato Avocado Bruschetta
One of the favorite appetizer recipes I have created recently is this Crab and Shrimp Seafood Appetizer to serve on a toasted crusty baguette. It is SO delicious, so easy to make, very impressive, and best of all? It feels fancy and sophisticated and pairs perfectly with a crisp white wine!
This creamy, savory seafood spread is made with generous chunks of shrimp and lump crab meat. It is then spread over sliced baguettes.
The baguettes are then popped into the oven for a few minutes. This will really bring out the creaminess, richness, and flavor of the seafood spread. And it will make the baguettes nice and crisp on the edges.
Related recipe: Shrimp stuffed mini bell peppers
This recipe is the perfect appetizer to me because it is a great combination of flavors and textures: Crispy baguette, creamy seafood spread, tender shrimp and crab meat. And it's easy to make.
And the best part?? It pairs perfectly with a crisp glass of wine. In fact, I would recommend opening a bottle of wine while making these. I'd say it's a perfect appetizer!
Related recipe: Baked Crab Dip
What will I need to make this seafood appetizer?
1. A fresh baguette. Make sure you give it a good squeeze at the store to make sure it doesn't feel old and stale. You'll want it to be soft. The edges will crisp up beautifully in the oven, and the inside part will remain soft and will practically melt in your mouth. Here's a great classic baguette recipe.
2. Crab and Shrimp. (Obviously.) I used canned White-Lump Crab Meat because I wanted to make things easy on myself. Just 1 can is enough for this recipe. And even though crab meat is a little pricey, the canned meat is still a more economical alternative to fresh crab meat, with a lot less work.
Even though I used canned crab meat, I do always insist on buying raw shrimp and cooking it instead of buying frozen cooked shrimp. I find that the texture of pre-cooked shrimp is just not as good. I don't like rubbery overcooked shrimp. It takes only a couple of minutes to cook shrimp, so I feel it's worth the extra work.
3. Large baking sheet or cookie pan. Definitely do not skip the baking step in this recipe! 15 x 21 inches such as this one is a good size.
Related recipe: Pesto Tomato Crostini
Looking for more finger food recipes for holiday parties? Make these champagne cupcakes!
Other easy appetizers you will love:
- Fried Brie
- Tuna Jalapeño Poppers
- Crab Cakes with Mango Relish
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- Easy Salami Appetizer
- Lox Appetizer Platter
- Cheesy Seafood Dip
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! And don't forget to give it a rating in the recipe card below and save it for later on Pinterest.
Seafood Appetizer Spread with Toasted Baguettes
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp (fresh or thawed if frozen) - , cleaned and deveined (about 10 jumbo shrimp)
- salt and pepper - , to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small garlic clove - , finely grated
- 1 6-oz can lump crab meat - ,drained
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves - , finely chopped
- Optional: Pinch of red pepper flakes - , to taste
- 1 French baguette
- Preheat your oven to 425F. Get out a large baking sheet (no need to grease it!).
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and cook the shrimp about 2 minutes per side, or until fully cooked. Set aside and roughly chop into smaller pieces (about 1/4 - 1/2 inch) once the shrimp cools.
- While the shrimp cools, prepare the rest of the dish: In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave the cream cheese for about 40 seconds, until it is softened but not fully melted. Add the Parmesan cheese, drained crab meat, grated garlic, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Add the chopped cooked shrimp. Mix well.
- Cut a baguette into slices, about 1/2 - 3/4 inch in thickness. Generously top each slice with about 1-2 tablespoons of the seafood spread. Place the baguette slices on a large baking tray. Place in the oven at 425F for 4-5 minutes, or until the baguette is toasted and the seafood spread has softened. Top with additional parsley or red pepper flakes for garnish, if desired. Serve warm.
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.
Wednesday 27th of July 2022
Can this be served cold with crackers and baguette rather than warm?
Thursday 28th of July 2022
I haven't tried, but I think it can be spread on crackers, but I think it would be better warmed up (microwave or oven) and then used as a warm spread/dip on crackers. But I can see how some people would prefer to serve it cold!
Monday 10th of May 2021
Very easy and yummy. Made this for our family get together. Everyone loved it.
Monday 10th of May 2021
Soo glad to hear that!!
Little Cooking Tips
Wednesday 14th of December 2016
Wow, these must be sooooo delicious! We love crab meat and when combined with the cheeses and the shrimp it must taste like heaven! Pinned! As for Christmas, we wish you guys have an amazing Holiday season in your new home! Sending you lots of hugs, Panos and Mirella