Try this awesome twist on the classic egg salad: Avocado Egg Salad with Ham. The avocado adds a wonderful flavor to this salad, and the ham adds a nice texture. This will be the BEST egg salad you ever make!
Or skip the ham for a vegetarian Egg Salad with Avocado.
Egg salad with avocado
Egg salad is typically made with loads of mayo in the dressing. This healthier egg salad recipe replaces most of the mayo with avocado to add loads or nutrients, flavor, and creaminess to the egg salad.
I still sometimes add 1-2 tablespoons of mayo just to add a bit more flavor and richness, but that is totally optional.
I also add some fresh parsley and scallions to the mix to give this salad more flavor – I find that egg salad always benefits from a bit of onion flavor and fresh herbs.
How to make avocado egg salad
A basic avocado egg salad is easy to make.
I usually cook my eggs in the Instant Pot using the 5-5-5 method (5 minutes high pressure, high minutes natural release, 5 minutes in ice water), and this makes perfect hard boiled eggs and is definitely my preferred method over the stove-top method with usually involves panic yelling “oh no! the eggs!” and me rushing to the kitchen to find out all the water evaporated like, 5 minutes ago.
This is the Instant Pot I have and I’ve loved it from the minute I used it.
Chop up your hard boiled eggs. This is how I do it:
The mash together half an avocado, some lime juice (for flavor), salt, pepper, and the fresh herbs in a bowl. You can do this with a fork, but I always prefer using a muddler, such as this one.
Then just stir in your chopped eggs, season with more salt, pepper, everything bagel seasoning, and enjoy!
You can also add the following add-ins for egg salad:
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne powder for spice
- Smoked sweet paprika for flavor
- Diced fresh or pickled jalapeno for spice
- Diced bell pepper for some crunch
- Bacon bits or crumbled bacon (mmmm bacon)
- Other fresh herbs, such as basil or dill (I LOVE basil and eggs together!)
- Diced ham
Ham and egg salad
If you’re not vegetarian, then this ham and egg salad is a combination you HAVE to try!
Cubed ham adds such a nice texture and flavor to this avocado egg salad. You know how egg salad is all soft? Well, ham adds a nice bite to it, and gives it some contract. And it also adds a nice saltiness.
Considering it takes all of 30 seconds to chop up a half a cup of ham, I find it worth adding to make a ham and egg salad!
I jokingly call this my “Green Eggs and Ham” Salad. 🙂
You can also just add a slice or two of ham to your sandwich, if you’re serving this egg salad on a sandwich. Same flavor, less work.
Everything bagel egg salad
I take this egg salad to the next level by adding some everything but the bagel seasoning to it. This stuff is so good and so addicting, with its wonderful garlicky salty flavor and crunch thanks to the sesame seeds.
You can absolutely leave it out if you don’t have any… but I recommend getting some! You might become obsessed with it too.
This egg salad is amazing on a bagel (try it with an everything bagel!), on a sandwich, on toast, in lettuce wraps or regular wraps, or as a topping for crackers.
However you decide to make it – with ham or without, with everything bagel seasoning or without, I hope you try my avocado egg salad! If you end up making it, please take a picture and tag me on Instagram or Facebook. You can find me at @babaganoshblog on both. I love seeing your creations!
Looking for other easy lunch ideas?
- Spicy crunchy chicken salad
- 3 Ingredient chicken salad
- Hawaiian chicken salad
- Chickpea chicken salad
- Tuna pasta salad
- Mexican pasta salad
- 3 Ingredient tuna salad
- Sesame cucumber salad with everything bagel seasoning
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don’t forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Avocado Egg Salad - Green Eggs and Ham Sandwich
- 4 eggs hard boiled, cooled, and peeled
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1/2 Hass avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (from 1/2 lime, or use lemon juice)
- 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or skip for clean keto version)
- 1 teaspoon everything bagel seasoning (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon each to start)
- 0.25 lb ham cubed
- Bread, lettuce, tomato for serving
- Dice the hard boiled eggs into small even pieces (about 1/4 - 1/2 inch). Chop the parsley and chives/scallions.
- Combine the avocado half, chopped parsley, chopped scallion, salt, pepper, and lime juice in a large bowl. Mash with a fork or a muddler to make an avocado paste. Stir in mayo, if using.
- Add the chopped egg, chopped ham, and everything bagel seasoning, and mix well. Season with additional salt, pepper, lime juice, mayo, or everything bagel seasoning, if desired. Enjoy in a sandwich, on toast,, lettuce wrap, or with crackers.
- Pinch or red pepper flakes, cayenne, or smoked paprika
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Finely diced jalapeno or bell pepper
- Crumbled bacon