Last updated on September 5th, 2018.
An amazing twist on the classic egg salad: avocado adds a wonderful flavor and texture to the egg salad. Make this Avocado Egg Salad and put it on a sandwich with ham for some Green Eggs and Ham!
This post contains affiliate links.
I’ve been dreaming of having egg salad for a while. Does that ever happen to you??
I’m not sure why that is, egg salad is not something I usually crave, and I definitely don’t eat it that often. But I just couldn’t stop thinking about egg salad!
You know that scene in 40 Year Old Virgin where he’s talking about spending all day making an egg salad sandwich? Yea, that’s me right now. Hang in there with me! Haha.
I had some avocados that needed to be eaten soon, so I decided to make a twist on regular egg salad by throwing an avocado in there. And then when I realized I would essentially be making green eggs, I had to go out and buy some ham to have green eggs and ham.
You see how this egg salad obsession is getting weird??
Anyway, I love this twist on the classic egg salad. Avocado adds a wonderful texture to the salad and makes it such a fulfilling lunch.
For this avocado egg salad recipe, I use both diced avocado and smashed avocado. So you get both the avocado chunks and the creamy avocado-mayo dressing in each bite. Perfection!!
Add a few slices of ham (hint: fry the ham for a minute on each side for ultimate flavor and crispiness!) to turn this avocado egg salad into an amazing sandwich. Plus it’s kind of fun because now you’ve got yourself a Green Eggs and Ham Sandwich!
I hope I’ve convinced you to go and try making this avocado egg salad. You will NOT be disappointed!
If you liked this recipe, please leave me a comment below, and don’t forget to rate it below in the recipe card and save it on Pinterest for later.
Avocado Egg Salad - Green Eggs and Ham Sandwich
- 4 hard boiled eggs , cooled and peeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 Hass avocado
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon each)
- 4-6 slices ham (or as much as you want)
- 4 slices bread , or 2 sandwich rolls
- Optional: Spinach leaves,lettuce, or sliced tomato for the sandwich
- Dice the hard boiled eggs into small even pieces (about 1/4 - 1/2 inch). Chop the parsley and chives/scallions. Combine the diced eggs, chopped parsley, and chives in a medium sized bowl.
- Slice the avocado in half, and remove the pit. Dice one half of the avocado and add it to the eggs. Use the rest of the avocado in the next step!
- In a small bowl, mash the remaining avocado half together with the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and mayo.
- Add the mashed avocado to the egg mixture, and mix well.
- Optional: Cook the ham slices in a skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side to make the ham crispy.
- Assemble the sandwich, and enjoy!