This gorgeous vegan Butternut Squash Beet Soup cooks in 8 minutes in the Instant Pot. This twist on the classic Fall soup will quickly become your favorite!
Remember that enormous 20-lb butternut squash I mentioned? It's been a gift that keeps on giving. I've made this Thanksgiving Stuffing, Roasted Vegetable Fettuccine, and this is the third recipe I am posting using that ginormous squash: Butternut Squash Beet Soup made in my beloved Instant Pot.
This Fall soup is such a gorgeous color thanks to the beets. It is such an unreal intense color, who knew that red beets and yellow butternut squash would make such an intense pink color?
The beets add even more vitamins and antioxidants than regular ol' butternut squash soup, so that's a good reason to add them to this soup. This soup is silky smooth and has a hint of sweetness and that earthy savoriness from the beets.
This butternut squash beet soup is vegan because it uses coconut milk instead of cream. This is what makes the soup super rich, smooth, and silky. I did use sour cream to make the swirl on top (because us Russian people put sour cream on everything), but you can absolutely skip the swirl, or make the swirl from coconut milk cream for a vegan option.
To get the rich coconut cream for the swirl, just let the can of coconut milk sit undisturbed for 24 hours before using it. Carefully open it, and scoop some of the thicker white cream from the top, saving it for later. Use the rest of the can to cook the soup, and then garnish with the reserved coconut cream.
This soup is super easy to make in the Instant Pot. To tell the truth, it would cook quickly on a stove-top too, but I love my instant pot because I don't have to keep an eye on the soup while it cooks - just turn it on and walk away!
If you're not 100% comfortable using the Instant Pot yet, that's OK, it can take some time to get used to! But you reeeealllly should take the time to learn how to use it, it will save you SO MUCH TIME in the kitchen.
Heather from the Spicy Apron created an awesome Instant Pot video course. It has everything from the basics to the advanced techniques, and it covers several non-traditional uses of the Instant Pot. It's a quick moving video course (for all you visual learners!).
Heather wrote two bestselling Instant Pot cookbooks, so she knows her stuff. She will be available to you by email to answer any specific questions. It's like having your own personal Instant Pot coach!
If you use the code BABAGANOSH5 you will get $5 off the course. And if you don't feel like an Instant Pot Boss by the end of the course, you can get 100% of your money back.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know with a comment and a star rating below, and save it for later on Pinterest:
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Beet Soup
- 1 small butternut squash - (about 1 - 1.5 lb)
- 1 lb beets - (about 3 medium beets)
- 1 14-oz can light coconut milk - (see notes below)
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- Salt & pepper - , to taste
- Optional garnish: fresh thyme - , sour cream, or coconut cream (see notes below)
- Peel the butternut squash and beets. Remove the seeds from the butternut squash. Cut the butternut squash and the beets into ~1.5 inch cubes.
- Add the butternut squash, beets, coconut milk, 1/2 cup water, and salt and pepper to the Instant Pot. Cook on manual at high pressure for 8 minutes. Use manual pressure release when the Instant Pot is done cooking.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Add additional water if you prefer a thinner soup. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve hot, garnishing with fresh thyme, sour cream, or coconut cream.
Shop for this Butternut Squash Beet Soup recipe:
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.