Smoky kielbasa sausage and healthy cabbage come together in this delicious and healthy Kielbasa and Cabbage Stir Fry. Make this as a light dinner or a side dish.
This post contains affiliate links.
This past weekend we went camping with a few of our friends at Clarence Fahnestock State Park in NY. It was a beautiful weekend with gorgeous weather.
We went on a hike that had gorgeous views of a lake covered with lily pads. We also saw a few beaver homes on the lake. It was cool, I’ve never seen that before! Unfortunately we didn’t spot any beavers.
On our second night at the campsite we made pasta with Alfredo sauce, mushrooms, and kielbasa sausage – it was delicious and so fancy for camping food!
The grilled kielbasa reminded me that I made this Kielbasa and Cabbage Stir Fry a little while back and never shared the recipe on the blog.
This is such an easy recipe that uses so few ingredients that it can easily be made at a campground. I might consider this for camping next year, since it would be a healthier way to enjoy grilled kielbasa than with pasta.
This recipe is inspired by my grandma who makes cabbage stir fry with hot dogs. The flavors of sausage/hot dogs and cabbage are nostalgic for me. They also help make cabbage taste absolutely delicious. I love this recipe because it is such an easy and delicious way to eat a large serving of cabbage and fill up on vegetables.
Stir frying cabbage brings out its sweetness and makes it absolutely delicious. It pairs so nicely with the smoky kielbasa sausage.
I love cooking with any vegetable that cooks down a lot such as spinach, kale, cabbage. I love how much veggies I can eat when they’re cooked down, as opposed to eating them raw. This recipe is a great way to enjoy the super delicious flavors of kielbasa in a healthy way.
Smoky kielbasa and healthy cabbage come together in this delicious and healthy Kielbasa and Cabbage Stir Fry. Make this as a light dinner or a side dish.
- 1 lb pre-cooked kielbasa sausage , sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1 small green cabbage , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt , to taste
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Preheat a large skillet. Place sliced kielbasa on the preheated skillet and cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until it is nicely browned and heated through. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet, and add the diced onion. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until it softens. Add the sliced cabbage. You might have to add it in a couple of steps if it doesn't fit all at once, waiting for the cabbage to shrink down in size before adding more. Once all the cabbage all fits into the pan, add the sugar, salt, and stir well.
- Continue to cook over low-medium heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. The cooking time will vary on how soft or crunchy you like your cabbage - it's up to you! Give it a taste every few minutes and see if you want to cook longer.
- Once the cabbage is cooked to your liking, add in the cooked kielbasa, stir, and cook 2 minutes to heat everything through. Season with more salt, if desired, and freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot.