Asparagus Leek Soup with Parmesan Cheese makes the perfect spring soup - fresh, healthy, delicious, and easy to make. Serve it hot, warm, or chilled.
This is creamy Asparagus Leek Soup is perfect for springtime and early summer. Both leeks and asparagus are in season, so this soup will will taste extra fresh, and the vibrant green color will make you feel so good about eating something so healthy and loaded with nutrients.
Related recipe: Sweet Potato Leek Soup
Chilled asparagus soup?
The best part about this soup is that it can be eaten hot, warm, or chilled. This means you can enjoy a hot bowl of soup on a chilly spring afternoon, but you can also serve it chilled in the summer as a light lunch.
I am a fan of chilled soup. It's like a savory veggie-packed smoothie bowl.
There are lots of ways to customize this soup with various toppings and add-ins. Keep reading!
Related recipe: Grilled Asparagus Salad
Asparagus is in abundance during spring time. Its price goes down significantly when it's in season - farmer's markets and grocery stores both sell it for as low as $2 per pound during this time!
Here is a really good guide on how to pick out asparagus. Basically, don't worry if the asparagus stalks are thin or chunky. Just make sure the asparagus is not woody, and make sure that the tips are fresh and not mushy.
Related recipe: Lemony Asparagus Side Dish
Leeks are like giant green onions and they give this soup so much flavor. Their oniony flavor mellows out as the leeks saute for a few minutes with garlic, so don't worry - this soup will not taste strongly of leeks or onions.
How to clean leeks: Leeks can trap a lot of dirt in their layers. You really want to make sure you clean leeks really well to get all the dirt out. The best way to clean leeks is to chop them, then rinse the chopped leeks in a large bowl several times, draining off the dirty water.
If you wash the leeks before chopping them, you might not get all the dirty out from between the layers.
Related recipe: Cauliflower Leek Risotto
How to make asparagus leek soup
You'll start with sauteing chopped leeks and minced garlic. This will caramelize them slightly and bring out their natural sweetness.
Then you'll add the vegetable stock and asparagus, and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (I love this citrus squeezer from Oxo, I've had it for almost 15 years!).
That's pretty much it for the cooking part! Super easy.
Related recipe: Roasted Asparagus with Crispy Topping
Now blend it up!
An industrial strength blender, such as a Vitamix or a Blendtec, is best for pureeing asparagus soup into a super smooth, silky soup. I have this blentec and I absolutely love it. It has never failed me, and I've blended raw carrots into a smooth drink using this thing.
So the next step is letting the soup cool a little and transferring it to a blender to puree it as much as you like.
Once pureed, sprinkle the soup with some freshly grated Parmesan (or leave it off for a vegan option), and enjoy!
Related recipe: Pulled Pork Asparagus Pizza
No Blendtec or Vitamix?
You can still make this soup even if you don't have a fancy-pants industrial strength blender. You can use a regular blender, an immersion blender, or a powerful food processor to puree this soup.
If your soup does not turn out silky smooth after blending, you can pass the pureed soup through a mesh strainer that is set up over a large pot to catch the soup underneath. Just use a large spoon or ladle to press the asparagus pulp into the mesh so that you squeeze all the delicious soup through the strainer.
Other toppings for asparagus soup
Try one of these toppings or add-ins to spruce up your soup. You can even have a little "asparagus soup bar" where everyone gets to choose their favorite additions:
- Crumbled bacon
- Fresh herbs, such as dill or parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Stir in a dollop of sour cream or coconut cream
- Toasted pepitas
- A sprinkle of nutritional yeast
- Hemp seeds
Looking for more pureed soup recipes? Try these reader favorites:
- Vegan sweet potato peanut soup - this combination of flavors is so good!
- Creamy vegan carrot soup with parsley pistou
- Lentil butternut squash soup
- Potato turnip soup
- Butternut squash beet soup
I'd love to hear from you if you end up making this asparagus soup! Please leave me a comment and let me know how you liked it. And don't forget to leave a rating in the recipe card and pin this recipe for later on Pinterest!
Asparagus Leek Soup with Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek , diced (about 2 cups), rinsed well
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 lb asparagus (about 2 bunches) ends discarded and chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (from about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 cup water - optional
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (up to 1 teaspoon, to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil and add the chopped leek and minced garlic. Saute over medium heat for about 7-10 minutes, or until the leek starts to soften.
- Add the asparagus and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the asparagus is very tender. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice. Allow the soup to cool a bit before blending.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender (reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish, if you like!), and process until the soup is smooth and creamy. If it is too thick for your liking, add water in small increments and blend again (up to 1 cup water). Add the grated Parmesan cheese and pulse for 1-2 seconds to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with additional grated Parmesan cheese. Serve hot, warm, or chilled.