Last updated on November 4th, 2018.
A collection of delicious smoked salmon and lox recipes that go beyond the bagel. Everything from fun party appetizers to brunch, to mouthwatering dinner recipes!
Have you ever had lox / smoked salmon??
If you grew up in the New York City area, you know all about lox. Lox is delicious, tender, salt-cured slices of salmon that go perfectly on top of a toasted bagel with cream cheese. It’s a perfect combination of creamy and salty. It pairs amazingly with a GOOD New York bagel and a cup of coffee (Dunkin Donuts bagels need not apply!).
Recently, Lox started getting more popular all over the US. More and more restaurants are offering it as part of a fancy brunch and it’s even appearing on lunch and dinner menus. About time!! Many countries in Europe have been eating lox as part of their traditional food for centuries!
I’ve searched the internet for the most delicious recipes using lox or smoked salmon. Here’s the full list I put together, but make sure you scroll down to see my recipe for homemade lox and to see the pictures of ALL these gorgeous recipes!
- Lox Appetizer Platter – easy 30 minute tutorial to make an appetizer platter that has a little something for everyone!
- Smoked Salmon Croissant Strata – this makes a GREAT fancy brunch dish.
- Cottage Cheese, Kale, and Smoked Salmon Frittata – perfect for breakfast or brunch. Protein-packed, too!
- Crunchy Salmon Cakes with Aioli – perfectly crispy and great for dinner.
- Fettucine with Smoked Salmon and Fresh Dill – simple, elegant, and full of flavor.
- Smoked Salmon, Dill, and Horseradish Tartlets – this recipe has an easy homemade crust and a rich, decadent flavorful filling.
- Layered Shuba Salad with Salmon – this stunning salad is great to serve at dinner parties.
- Smoked Salmon, Farro, and Goat Cheese Salad – hearty, wholesome, delicious, healthy, and colorful.
- Caviar and Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip – can you get any fancier?? Love this!
- Smoked Salmon Crostini – perfect party appetizer, plus three other crostini ideas!
- Avocado and Smoked Salmon Appetizer – beautiful little bites with goat cheese and avocado.
- Smoked Salmon Potato Canapes – the combination of potato and smoked salmon must be wonderful!
- Rainbow Smoked Salmon Toasts with Passion Fruit Hollandaise Sauce – these are just gorgeous, an explosion of color, texture, and flavor in every bite.
- Eggs Royale – an amazing twist on the classic Eggs Benedict.
- Smoked Salmon Pate – a delicious spread for crackers or toast.
- Bonus recipe! Smoked Salmon Pinwheels – super simple and sooo tasty.
But before we continue…
Did you know you can easily make your own lox??
If you’re a fan of lox, you know it can be quite expensive. Luckily, I have a very easy recipe for how to make lox at home.
All it takes to make lox is a nice salmon fillet, salt, and sugar. Ground pepper and some herbs if you want to get fancy. You can also use smoked sea salt to get the most flavorful lox. It will have all the flavor of smoked salmon without the extra step of using a smoker.
Homemade lox comes out so much tastier than the store-bought stuff. It is also MUCH cheaper and doesn’t have any preservatives.
Both lox and smoked salmon can be used interchangeably in all of the recipes below.
Make sure you check out my recipe for how to make your own lox, and then come right back here for some ideas of how to use this lox in many different recipes.
Delicious Lox Recipes That Go Beyond the Bagel:
1. Lox Appetizer Platter
Lox appetizers are always a popular party food. I think people *know* that lox is the expensive fancy stuff, so the lox appetizers always disappear first!
Here is a great tutorial on how to make a Lox Appetizer Platter – complete with a creamy lox dip, cucumber bites, bagel chips, and lots of veggies for dipping. The whole platter can be put together in less than 30 minutes, which is great for entertaining. Less work for you, more snacks for your guests.
And there is a little bit of something for everyone – healthy crisp veggies, delicious crunchy bagel bites, creamy lox spread. Definitely bookmark this one for your next party!
Get the recipe for the Lox Appetizer Platter.
2. Smoked Salmon Croissant Strata
How gorgeous is this Smoked Salmon Croissant Strata from Julie over at Imagelicious?? I seriously get those little hearts in my eyes just like the emoji when I look at this dish.
Strata is just a fancy word for a casserole with eggs and milk.
It’s like a savory, decadent, croissant French toast with lox that is baked to perfection. This would make a fabulous brunch if you want to treat yourself or impress someone, but I can also see this being an amazing dinner dish. This is going on my “bucket list” of recipes for sure.
Get the recipe for Smoked Salmon Croissant Strata.
3. Cottage Cheese, Kale, and Smoked Salmon Frittata
This Cottage Cheese, Kale, and Smoked Salmon Frittata is another gorgeous and elegant recipe using smoked salmon.
The creamy cottage cheese is such a nice pairing to salty, fatty smoked salmon. This frittata is absolutely delicious because of the fresh herbs, and then she suggests topping it with Feta cheese? I can’t even.
Get the recipe for the yummy, protein-packed Cottage Cheese Kale and Smoked Salmon Frittata from Lucy at Super Golden Bakes.
4. Crunchy Smoked Salmon Cakes
These crispy, crunchy Smoked Salmon Cakes from Lisa at Garlic and Zest are absolute perfection, don’t you agree?
They are a fun twist on the traditional crab cakes, but with so much more flavor. And they are just so perfectly crispy. Topped with creamy, garlicky aioli with fresh dill, they are absolutely irresistible. Make these for dinner with a side of pasta or a salad for a lighter meal.
Get the recipe for Crunchy Salmon Cakes from Garlic and Zest. This recipe does use a lot of lox / smoked salmon, so if you want to try a hand at making your own, now would be a good time. Here is my recipe for homemade lox.
5. Fettucine with Smoked Salmon and Fresh Dill
Sometimes simple is best. This Fettucine with Smoked Salmon and Fresh Dill from Cynthia at What a Girl Eats is the perfect example.
Take a perfectly cooked pasta, add a creamy flavorful sauce made from scratch (none of that bottled stuff here!), throw in some smoked salmon and of course, fresh dill. The flavor of each ingredient really comes through and this recipe makes a great dinner.
The salty, smoky salmon is a perfect pairing for creamy sauce.
Get the recipe for Fettucine with Smoked Salmon and Fresh Dill.
6. Smoked Salmon, Dill, and Horseradish Tartlets
If you want to get fancy with your cooking, these Smoked Salmon, Dill, and Horseradish Tartlets from Karen’s Kitchen Stories are the perfect recipe. The homemade crust is very easy to make, but will make these tartlets look like a million bucks.
And the rich, decadent filling has a ton of flavor thanks to the capers, crème fraîche, fresh lemon juice, and herbs. These tartlets come out so gorgeous with a nice golden brown topping. I can just imagine digging my fork into one!
Get the recipe for Smoked Salmon, Dill, and Horseradish Tartlets. This recipe also uses quite a bit of smoked salmon, so if you want to cut down on the ingredients cost and use the freshest ingredients possible, try making your own using this recipe.
7. Layered Shuba Salad with Salmon
This Shuba Salad with Salmon from Peter’s Food Adventures is a stunning dish to serve up at a dinner party. “Shuba” means “winter coat” in Russian – so it’s like this salad is wearing a coat of delicious toppings! This dish is traditionally served at big holidays such as Christmas or a New Years Eve dinner.
Shuba is traditionally made with herring as the base of the salad, and I am loving this twist on the recipe. The layers give this salad a gorgeous presentation and are actually a great combination of flavors – salty, rich salmon pairs so well with potatoes, the eggs add a great texture, and the sweetness and color of the shredded cooked beets on top finishes off the dish.
8. Smoked Salmon, Farro, and Goat Cheese Salad
This Smoked Salmon, Farro, and Goat Cheese Salad from Marissa at Pinch and Swirl makes a wholesome, delicious, healthy meal. And it’s so good you’ll forget you’re eating a salad. It’s got a lovely crunchy from the farro, which works in perfect harmony with creamy goat cheese and tender smoked salmon.
Get the recipe for this Smoked Salmon, Farro, and Goat Cheese Salad.
9. Caviar and Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
Caviar and Smoked Salmon are some of the best things in life. It’s no wonder these are considered gourmet foods – they are so tasty and elegant. And Annemarie from Just a Little Bit of Bacon had a genius idea of combining these ingredients into one delicious Caviar and Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip!
But she doesn’t just stop there – she adds a tiny bit of horseradish to this creamy dip – just enough to add flavor but not overpower the recipe. This dip is perfect for crackers, veggies, and crusty bread. It would make an amazing party appetizer.
Get the recipe for this Caviar and Smoked Salmon Dip.
10. Smoked Salmon Crostini (plus 3 other crostini ideas!)
I love Julia’s use of savory whipped cream for this Smoked Salmon Party Crostini! It’s such a fun way to add rich and creamy flavor to these crostini, which is a perfect complement to smoky salty salmon and crispy toasted bread.
These salmon crostini make a great party food, along with the other crostini in her post: Pear & Goat Cheese, Bruschetta, and Prosciutto & Arugula.
Get the recipe for Smoked Salmon Crostini.
11. Avocado and Smoked Salmon Appetizer
Girl from Dawn Heart Food has a recipe for these Avocado and Smoked Salmon Appetizers, and I just love how she presents them! She layers creamy goat cheese, smoked salmon, and avocado on top of flatbread, and then cuts the flatbread up into perfect rectangles.
Garnished with chives, capers, and a drizzle of olive oil, these little flatbreads are tasty and very pretty! They would be great at a holiday party or as a Valentine’s Day appetizer.
Get the recipe for Avocado and Smoked Salmon Appetizers.
12. Smoked Salmon Potato Canapes
I fell in love with these Smoked Salmon and Potato Canapes from Marianne at Basil and Bubbly the second I saw them. Smoked salmon, potatoes, and sour cream are some of my favorite things (I am Russian, after all!). And to combine them all in a tasty little appetizer that is super easy to make is just brilliant.
Starchy potatoes are a wonderful addition to creamy sour cream and salty smoked salmon. I have to admit though, I did have to look up what a canape was. 😉
If you can find purple or tri-color baby potatoes, they would definitely make this appetizer even more special. But if all you’ve got are white baby potatoes, or even thick potato rounds from regular full-size potatoes, this would still make a super tasty appetizer!
Get the recipe for Smoked Salmon and Potato Canapes.
13. Rainbow Smoked Salmon Toasts with Passion Fruit Hollandaise Sauce
I cannot believe how gorgeous these little Rainbow Smoked Salmon Toasts with Passion Fruit Hollandaise Sauce are! Dini from the Flavor Bender uses spirulina to make blue cream cheese, and then tops toasted crusty bread with purple cabbage, red tomatoes, orange salmon, and yellow runny eggs.
All of that is topped with a generous drizzle of hollandaise sauce made with passion fruit. I cannot even imagine how good that whole combination must taste. It’s crunchy, salty, creamy, sweet, tart, and everything wonderful all at once.
All I can say is YUM. Get the recipe for these beautiful Rainbow Smoked Salmon Toasts.
14. Eggs Royale (Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict)
Did you know that is a variation of the classic Eggs Benedict recipe that uses lox instead of ham? I did not know that either until seeing this Eggs Royale / Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict recipe from Caroline’s Cooking.
But oh my my, does it look delicious!! The easy and delicious Hollandaise sauce poured over the yummy lox on top of a toasted English muffin with poached eggs. Why HELLO. I just want to dive right into it.
Get the recipe for Eggs Royale.
15. Smoked Salmon Pate
This spreadable, tasty Smoked Salmon Pate by Michelle from Greedy Gourmet is such a tasty treat. She combined smoked salmon with lemon juice and lemon zest, fresh herbs, and heavy cream. And in just a few pulses of the food processor, you have a delicious appetizer. This would also make a great breakfast or brunch side.
Spread it on crackers, toast, or cucumber slices. Yum!
Get the recipe for Smoked Salmon Pate.
16. Bonus recipe: Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
I found this recipe for Smoked Salmon Pinwheels from Pat and Dahn at Savor the Best after I finished putting together this delicious roundup, and I knew I had to include it!! Pinwheels always make great party food, and this very easy recipe will definitely please your guests. People will be grabbing seconds and thirds, without a doubt.
Get the recipe for Smoked Salmon Pinwheels.
So what have we learned from this delicious collection of Smoked Salmon Recipes?
- Smoked Salmon or Lox is a great ingredient for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, AND appetizer recipes. You can add it raw to dips and on top of crostinis, or you can add it to recipes that require cooking, such as pastas and frittatas.
- Salty smoked salmon pairs really well creamy ingredients: Greek yogurt, cream cheese, goat cheese, sour cream, mascarpone, savory whipped cream. All of these are delicious with smoked salmon.
- Smoked salmon also goes great with a little bit of sharper and zestier flavors. Lemon juice, capers, horseradish will all lend more flavor to your smoked salmon or lox recipes.
- A little bit of fresh herbs such as dill will add even more flavor to your lox / smoked salmon recipes.
- Smoked salmon appetizers are ALWAYS very popular at holiday parties because they are fancy, tasty, and delicious. People cannot get enough of them.
I don’t know about you, but I am hungry after writing up this post.
So if I were you, I’d go buy a nice chunk of salmon fillet and start by making your own lox using smoked salt to cure the lox. This way you’ll get the freshest, most flavorful lox possible. And then go down the list and try all of these delicious recipes!