Last updated on June 12th, 2020.
A collection of delicious smoked salmon and lox recipes that go beyond the bagel. Everything from fun party lox appetizers to smoked salmon brunch and dinner recipes. There is something here for every salmon lover!
Have you ever had lox / smoked salmon??
If you grew up in the New York City area, you know all about lox. Lox is delicious, tender, salt-cured slices of salmon that go perfectly on top of a toasted bagel with cream cheese.
It’s a perfect combination of creamy and salty. It pairs amazingly with a GOOD New York bagel and a cup of coffee (Dunkin Donuts bagels need not apply!).
Recently, Lox started getting more popular all over the US. More and more restaurants are offering it as part of a fancy brunch and it’s even appearing on lunch and dinner menus.
About time!! Many countries in Europe have been eating lox as part of their traditional food for centuries!
But before we continue…
Did you know you can easily make your own lox?? If you’re a fan of lox, you know it can be quite expensive. Luckily, I have a very easy recipe for how to make lox at home.
All it takes to make lox is a nice salmon fillet, salt, and sugar (the sugar is optional). Ground pepper and some herbs if you want to get fancy.
You can also use smoked sea salt to get the most flavorful lox. It will have all the flavor of smoked salmon without the extra step of using a smoker.
Homemade lox comes out so much tastier than the store-bought stuff. It is also MUCH cheaper and doesn’t have any preservatives.
Both lox and smoked salmon can be used interchangeably in all of the recipes below.
Make sure you check out my recipe for how to make your own lox, and then come right back here for some ideas of how to use this lox in many different recipes.
By the way, are you looking for keto lox recipe? Check out this list of Low Carb Smoked Salmon Recipe Ideas!
So what have we learned from this delicious list of Smoked Salmon Recipes?
- Smoked Salmon or Lox is a great ingredient for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, AND appetizer recipes. You can add it raw to dips and on top of crostinis, or you can add it to recipes that require cooking, such as pastas and frittatas
- Salty smoked salmon pairs really well creamy ingredients: Greek yogurt, cream cheese, goat cheese, sour cream, mascarpone, savory whipped cream. All of these are delicious with smoked salmon
- Smoked salmon also goes great with a little bit of sharper and zestier flavors. Lemon juice, capers, horseradish will all lend more flavor to your smoked salmon or lox recipes
- A little bit of fresh herbs such as dill will add even more flavor to your lox / smoked salmon recipes
- Smoked salmon appetizers are ALWAYS very popular at holiday parties because they are fancy, tasty, and delicious. People cannot get enough of them
I don’t know about you, but I am hungry after writing up this post.
So if I were you, I’d go buy a nice chunk of salmon fillet or make your own lox and start trying these recipes!
If you enjoyed this list of mouthwatering lox ideas, please share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest.