Last updated on April 17th, 2018.
This morning as I was browsing my favorite blogs, I came across this Mexican Macaroni Salad recipe written by Jenna from Recipe Diaries. I seriously couldn’t stop thinking about this salad all day. I knew I was going to love this salad because I LOVE the combination of sour cream and salsa. That is my favorite part about eating tacos and quesadillas – when the sour cream and the salsa touch they taste so good together! So the second I saw the recipe I knew I had to make it. On the way home from work, I picked up some sour cream, a can of black beans, and a box of elbow macaroni to make this Mexican Macaroni Salad.
It turned out so good! It is a perfect summer meal because it involves minimal cooking, and a lot of colorful, fresh ingredients. And it was so nice to use someone else’s idea and follow their recipe, instead of improvising while cooking or trying to mitigate a disaster (it happens a lot).
I made a few minor changes to the recipe, mostly because of the ingredients I had on hand and some personal preferences (someone doesn’t like olives ahem, Aldo). And I skipped the red onion because I don’t like the taste of raw onions too much, but I can deal with green onions so I doubled that. Overall I followed the idea of the original recipe, and this came out really good.
We ate this macaroni salad with a simple side salad. No Aldo, just because it’s called Macaroni “Salad” doesn’t mean it is good for us and you can skip a green salad.
The recipe below made a LOT OF MACARONI SALAD. If you don’t want to eat this for days, maybe prepare half the box of pasta and half the dressing.
Here’s what I did:
- 1 box macaroni (whole grain elbow macaroni)
- 2 Large (and I mean huge!) tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- 6 green onions
- 3 ears of corn (or about 2 cups of corn)
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup store bought salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 small hot peppers (2 jalapeños would work), seeds removed
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Prepare the macaroni according to package directions, drain, and set aside. The elbow macaroni only needed to be cooked for 6 minutes. It’s a good thing I checked the box otherwise I would have cooked them for much longer, about 10-11 minutes like I cook most pasta.
2. Microwave the corn in the husks for 13 minutes. It’s the fastest way to cook corn and it still turns out pretty delicious. Let cool for a few minutes. We’ll come back to it.
3. Prepare the dressing. Combine the sour cream, salsa, cumin, and chili powder in a bowl. Finely dice the hot peppers and stir them into the dressing. Let the flavors of the hot pepper infuse into the dressing while you prepare everything else.
4. Prepare everything else!
Drain and rinse the black beans. Chop the tomatoes into approximately 1/2 – 1 inch pieces. Chop the green onions. Chop the cilantro leaves. Use a knife to remove the corn kernels from the ears of corn into a bowl. Add all the ingredients to a LARGE bowl and toss to combine.
5. Add the macaroni and the dressing to the bowl. Stir well. When you think you’re done, dig deeper and keep stirring to make sure you got all the tomatoes/beans/corn mixture combined with the pasta and the dressing Add a bit of salt to taste and some fresh ground pepper.
Thank you Jenna for this great recipe!