Try this amazing chocolate version of the classic Dalgona Coffee: Mocha Dalgona Coffee. You will absolutely LOVE this chocolate whipped coffee, which can be served over iced milk, over steamed milk, or over ice cream. SO GOOD.
GUYS, have you see the Dalgona Coffee trend that's taken social media by storm?? If you haven't, you're missing out.
Related recipe: Whipped Pumpin Spice Coffee
Dalgona Coffee is a whipped coffee drink made from equal parts instant coffee, sugar, and hot water. You whip it with a mixer and it becomes this delicious, rich, thick, foam that tastes like a coffee dessert.
It takes just 2 minutes to prepare and is seriously the best part of my morning. It makes an amazing accompaniment to my cinnamon coffee cake muffins with crumb topping.
Related recipe: Chocolate Pancakes
Mocha Dalgona Coffee
Mocha dalgona coffee is a chocolate whipped coffee version of the classic dalgona coffee. I add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to the instant coffee+water+sugar mixture and whip until a rich foam forms.
It takes a couple of minutes extra to get the nice firm peaks when you add cocoa powder because the coffee+water+sugar mixture is not as light, but it's so worth it. The chocolate-flavored coffee is such a treat.
By the way, if you're into pumpkin spice coffee, I have a pumpkin spice whipped coffee recipe too! This one whips up in just 30 seconds and is amaaaazing.
More homemade coffee drinks: Honey Lavender Latte
The key to perfectly fluffy dalgona coffee
The key to making sure you get fluffy, stiff peaks is following these steps closely:
- Make sure you use instant coffee, not espresso or any other coffee
- Use boiling water, or as close to boiling as you can get it
- Use regular white sugar
- Whisk the coffee in a jar (such as a mason jar) or a tall mug using a single beater on an electric mixer or a whisk from an immersion blender. This is the most important part. If you try to use a double-beater electric mixer in a large bowl, or try to do it by hand, it won't work
I have this immersion blender that has a whisk attachment and it's PERFECT for whipping coffee in a mason jar and works great in general. (psst! It's also great for making really quick whipped cream in a jar!)
And here are some mason jars, if you don't have any. They are great for whipping the coffee and then storing any leftovers. You can just add milk and ice to it the next day, give it a quick shake, and enjoy an instant frothy iced coffee!
Tip to keep coffee from splashing everywhere: use a paper towel to loosely wrap around the jar opening so the coffee doesn't splash out as you start whisking it.
What kind of instant coffee to use for whipped coffee
Us coffee drinkers have always looked down on instant coffee. Until now.
Suddenly it's my favorite go-to coffee because I know I can whip it up into an amazing whipped coffee drink in just seconds.
I've tried a couple of different instant coffee brands and honestly - they all taste great when whipped with sugar. I like this Folger's Classic Roast here. It's inexpensive and it will last you a while.
If you've always been anti-instant coffee, I urge you to give it a try for dalgona coffee. You will be surprised!
What kind of cocoa to use
Use any kind of unsweetened cocoa powder for this mocha whipped coffee. You don't need it to be sweetened because you're adding sugar to the mix anyway. If you only have hot chocolate mix or sweetened cocoa powder, then cut back on some of the sugar.
I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder to get the mocha coffee to be extra chocolate-y, but you can use any kind of cocoa powder you want.
I found that 1 tablespoon was enough for me to really get that rich chocolatey flavor. If you want to add more, it might take longer for the coffee to whip up because it will be a "heavier" mixture. Please let me know how it works out if you do try this, I would love to know!
How to serve dalgona coffee / mocha dalgona coffee
This is the best part. There is NO WRONG WAY to enjoy whipped coffee. Here is how I've served dalgona coffee so far:
- Spooned over a tall glass of milk poured over ice. Any milk works here: you can use cow's milk or a vegan milk alternative
- Spooned over a mug of steamed milk
- Topped with a bit of steamed milk form, to make a macchiato type of drink
- Spooned over ice cream (YAASSSSS)
- Spooned straight into my mouth (I admit, half of it goes directly into my mouth as I am "test tasting" each batch)
Here are the colorful paper straws that I use for all my iced drinks.
I don't add any sugar to dalgona coffee because it is already very sweet because sugar is added when I prepare it.
If you like coffee and are at all intrigued by this drink, I urge you and plead with you: MAKE IT. DROP EVERYTHING AND MAKE IT. It's so good.
Storing dalgona coffee and enjoying leftover dalgona coffee
I am the only coffee drinker in my family, and this recipe uses two full tablespoons of instant coffee, which is a LOT of coffee. I usually prepare the coffee according to the recipe and enjoy it over the next couple of days.
Of course, it's best when it is freshly whipped. It does settle a bit on Day 2 and the coffee separates from the foam. Your options are:
- Whip it into a foam again
- Enjoy it as it is
I always store the leftover dalgona coffee in a mason jar, so on Day 2 I just add some ice and milk, then shake the jar to get everything nice and frothy. It's just as delicious!
Looking for other delicious morning drinks?
- Pumpkin Spice Whipped Coffee - a pumpkin spice version of this whipped coffee drink
- Cold Brew Coffee Breakfast Smoothie - an amazing grab-and-go healthy breakfast+coffee combination
- Hot Spiced Tea
- Chocolate Avocado Smoothie - healthy but it tastes like rich chocolate pudding!
Looking for more chocolate treats?
- Twix Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Almond Joy Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Valentine's Day Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Dulce de Leche Wafer Cake
- Triple Chocolate Cookies
If you enjoyed this recipe, please let me know with a comment below and give it a star rating. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and Pinterest!
Mocha Dalgona Coffee - Whipped Chocolate Coffee Drink
- Combine all the ingredients in a heat-proof mason jar, bottle, or tall mug. Use one beater of an electric mixer to whisk the mixture for 3-5 minutes, or until firm peaks form and the mocha dalgona coffee is frothy and fluffy.
- Spoon over steamed milk or cold milk (see notes).
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.