These Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich Cookies are a true delight, bringing back your favorite childhood flavors in a delicious cookie form.
This recipe is brought to you by Norm's Farms, who provided me with free fruit preserves to try out. All opinions are my own.
You know how sometimes things just happen that lead you to do something, and you know you were meant to do that thing all along? That's how these peanut butter jelly sandwich cookies happened.
First, there was a huge sale on peanut butter that I just couldn't pass up. Second, I came across this Pass the Challah blog that I just love - it's so great to see a blogger focusing on kosher recipes. It looks like she recently started her blog, and every one of her recipes sounds amazing - chocolate mousse? Corn guacamole? Yes please! That's where I came across the peanut butter jelly sandwich cookie idea. And last of all, Norm's Farms sent me a 3-pack of their jams/preserves to try out. I had everything I needed for these cookies!
Related recipe: Grilled Peanut Butter Honey Sandwiches
These cookie sandwiches started out as a classic Peanut Butter cookie. And those are really good on their own, especially when dunked into a glass of cold milk.
But when you add a nice layer of jelly to these peanut butter cookies, they turn into something absolutely amazing. The addicting combination of peanut butter and jelly together is just irresistible. Go ahead and try to eat just one!
You can use your favorite jelly or fruit preserves for this recipe, or even try making a half a batch of cookies with one type of jelly and the other half with a different flavor. More variety = more fun! 🙂
Related recipe: Peanut Butter Bacon Rice Krispies Treats
Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich Cookies
Makes: 12-14 cookies. Total time: 40 minutes.
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened or melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 - 1 cup of your favorite jelly, jam, or preserves
1. Preheat oven to 375F and grease a large baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the peanut butter, sugar, and butter. Stir in the egg, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla extract until combined. Stir in the flour and mix until fully combined - don't worry about over-mixing.
3. Using a spring-release 1 tablespoon scoop or a 1 tablespoon measure, scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough, roll it into a ball in your hand, and place the ball onto the greased baking sheet. Flatten gently with your fingers, and then use a fork to flatten the cookie further while making a cross-cross pattern. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
4. Bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the cookies to cool. They will still be soft in the center, but that is OK - they will continue cooking and harden as they cool. Once cooled, twist the cookies gently to remove them from the baking sheet without breaking them. At this point you have perfectly good peanut butter cookies. BUT YOU CAN MAKE THEM EVEN MORE DELICIOUS!
5. Make sandwiches out of the cookies by placing about 1/2 tablespoon (use more or less to taste!) of your favorite jam, jelly, or preserves between two cookie halves, and gently squeezing them together.