Get ready for the best peanut butter sandwich you will ever have! These Grilled Peanut Butter Sandwiches with fresh Bananas and Strawberries are absolutely amazing. The crispy toasted bread, melted gooey peanut butter, fresh fruit, is so good together with a drizzle of honey for a touch of sweetness.
If you've never toasted your peanut butter sandwiches, you've GOT to try these!!
Grilled peanut butter sandwich
This sandwich makes an amazing quick and easy lunch for kids, but it is certainly not for kids only! Grown ups love the melty gooey peanut butter paired with crispy toasted bread just as much as kids do. And the fact that these sandwiches sneak in a bit of fruit is even better!
You might have had peanut butter and banana sandwiches before, but you've never had one like this! This peanut butter sandwiches is sweetened with honey instead of jelly, but you can certainly use jelly if you prefer.
This recipe below makes two peanut butter sandwiches, but obviously you can scale up or down as needed!
Related recipe: Healthy Peanut Butter Fruit Dip
- 4 slices of sandwich bread (use whole wheat if you like!)
- 2-4 tablespoons peanut butter, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey (see notes below)
- 1 banana
- 5-6 large strawberries
- Butter, for greasing the skillet
Related recipe: Peanut Butter Bacon Rice Krispies Treats
Ingredient notes and variation ideas
→ Honey: I used honey for more melty gooey-ness in this recipe, but you can skip it for less sugar, or use traditional jelly instead. Peanut butter honey sandwiches are absolutely delicious!! Give it a try! Or use maple syrup or agave syrup for a vegan grilled peanut butter sandwich, or get wacky and try it with this easy pineapple jam!
→ Peanut butter: Try a chunky one for a bit of crunch! Or give it a try with almond butter or sunflower butter!
→ Bananas: Depending on how big your banana is, you might need 1 or 2 bananas per sandwich.
→ Butter: Swap for coconut oil or vegan butter, if you prefer.
Related recipe: Peanut Butter Jelly Cookies
Step 1: For each sandwich, spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread, and the honey on the other slice.
Step 2: Place the strawberry slices on the peanut butter side, and the banana slices on the honey side. I found that this keeps the sandwiches together better because the slippery strawberry slices stick to the peanut butter.
Step 3: Carefully put the two sandwich halves together. Gently press them together so they stick.
Step 4: Heat up a skillet or griddle and grease it with butter. Carefully place each sandwich on the skillet. Cook on low heat for 3-5 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown. Carefully flip each sandwich, and cook 3-5 minutes on the other side.
At this point, the sandwich should be toasted on both sides, and the peanut butter should be deliciously oozing out of the sandwich.
Step 5: Cool for a few minutes, slice in half diagonally and enjoy!
Other peanut butter recipes:
- Peanut butter sweet potato soup - yes! a savory soup with peanut butter
- Soba noodle and chicken stir fry with spicy peanut sauce
Other easy snack and sandwich recipes:
- 3 Ingredient chicken salad
- Hawaiian chicken salad
- Ultimate grilled cheese sandwich
- Pear and goat cheese grilled cheese
- BBQ chicken grilled cheese sandwich
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Grilled Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or more, as needed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 banana sliced
- 5-6 large strawberries sliced
- Butter to grease the pan
- For each sandwich, spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread, and the honey on the other slice.
- Place the strawberry slices on the peanut butter side, and the banana slices on the honey side. This keeps the sandwiches together better than putting the strawberries on the honey side.
- Carefully put the two sandwich halves together. Gently press them together so they stick.
- Heat up a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and grease it with butter. Carefully place each sandwich on the skillet and turn the heat to low. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown. Carefully flip each sandwich, and cook 3-5 minutes on the other side.
- The sandwich should be toasted on both sides, and the peanut butter should be deliciously oozing out of the sandwich. Cool for a few minutes, slice in half diagonally, and enjoy!