Last updated on June 27th, 2018.
This Spicy and Smoky Potato and Bell Pepper Hash is ready in just 20 minutes. Serve as a side dish or as your main course with a fried egg on top.
This post contains affiliate links.
I’ve been slacking a bit, blog-wise. We got back from vacation last week and it’s been tough adjusting back to normal life – chores, laundry, waking up early for work… going to work… What is that all about?!
Last week we went to Tennessee. We toured Nashville and then took a road trip to Asheville, NC through the Smoky Mountains. It was a great vacation, except it rained every. single. day. That didn’t stop us though. We still ate lots of amazing food (hello ribs, hot chicken, ribs, mac n cheese, ribs, cheesy grits, ribs…. you get the idea 🙂 ).
SO MUCH GOOD FOOD. SO MUCH MEAT.
Since we got back, we took a small break from meat. Just a few days, nothing crazy. I made some brown rice with a vegetable stir fry in a peanut sauce, and then I made this…
This delicious, smoky, spicy and cheesy Potato and Bell Pepper Hash. It came out so good! It’s hard to believe that this dish is ready in only 20 minutes from scratch.
OK, so the reason this recipe is so easy to make is because I cheated. Let me tell you about it so you can cheat too and make dinner in 20 minutes flat.
I cooked the potatoes in the microwave. It it much faster than cooking them in a skillet. And then I added annatto and smoked paprika to give the potatoes that awesome golden look and to give them a delicious smoky flavor. Stir fry them up with some bell peppers, jalapeños, onions, and add some cheese. Cheese ALWAYS makes everything btter. And that’s it. Done. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to pin this Potato and Bell Pepper Hash recipe!
Spicy and Smoky Potato and Bell Pepper Hash
- 4 medium potatoes , cleaned and cubed (bite sized)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper , seeds removed for less heat
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 large bell peppers , seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground annatto
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste (about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon)
- Garnish: sliced scallions, chives, or cilantro
- Microwave the cubed bite-sized potatoes in a large microwaveable bowl for about 10 minutes, stirring halfway. Test the potatoes with a fork to see if they are done. If not, give them another stir and continue to cook 2 minutes at a time until the potatoes are fully cooked. Careful, the bowl might be hot!
- While the potatoes are cooking, chop the onion, dice the jalapeño, mince the garlic clove, and chop the bell pepper into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and diced jalapeño. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and continue to saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked potato cubes, the rest of the oil, the ground annatto, and paprika. Season with salt to taste. Stir everything together and cook through for another 3-5 minutes. Add the shredded cheese and stir fry for a minute until the cheese is melted all over the potato and bell pepper hash. Sprinkle with scallions, chives, or cilantro. Serve hot.