Last updated on January 2nd, 2020.
This Sausage & Kidney Bean Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale is a favorite for cold weather.
This recipe is sponsored by Randall Beans.
Brrr. It has been below freezing the last two days – a high of 25F. That is not typical for NJ in December. Last year we had a 70 degree day in December (also not typical, made me worry about the poor polar bears), but it is normally above freezing in December. Makes me dread what’s to come in February, when it is actually supposed to be cold.
I haven’t been blogging much because with everything going on in Syria and all over it feels wrong to be all like “la dee da, try this fabulous recipe!” so I haven’t done much… but I figured everyone could use a good soup recipe when it’s this cold. I came up with this Sausage & Kidney Bean Soup recipe for Randall Beans earlier this year, and even though I called it a Fall recipe because of the delicious butternut squash and kale, it is a group soup anytime we need a little comfort food.
I love pairing beans with sausage for that awesome spicy and earthy combination, and butternut squash always adds a lovely touch of sweetness to any dish. Give this Sausage & Kidney Bean Soup a try next time you are looking for a recipe that is hot and delicious that everyone will love. It takes only 30 minutes from start to finish, and makes a great meal with a nice thick slice of bread. Stay warm everyone!
Looking for more comforting soup recipes? Try this Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans!
Sausage & Kidney Bean with Butternut Squash and Kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage , cut into 3/4 inch pieces (or use sweet Italian sausage)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves (about 4 large leaves)
- 1 14-oz can kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves , chopped
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sausage and sauté for about 8 minutes, or until the sausage starts to brown and the onion softens.
- Add the chicken broth and water, and bring to a boil.
- Add the butternut squash and stir in the kale leaves and kidney beans. Bring to a boil, and continue to boil for 5 minutes, or until the butternut squash is fully cooked and pierces easily with a fork.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and parsley.