Trying to cut out sugary breakfasts? Make this amazing savory French toast with lots of garlic and thyme flavors. Enjoy with a fried egg, bacon, corned beef hash, or any other favorite savory breakfast foods!
This recipe was originally created in partnership with HORMEL® MARY KITCHEN® and Collective Bias, and I am so excited to share it with you!
What is savory French toast?
Savory French toast is French toast that is seasoned with savory flavors, such as salt, herbs, garlic, Parmesan, and any other spices, instead of seasoning it with sugar or another sweetener.
Aside from the spices, the process for how to make savory French toast is the same: you dredge the bread in a mixture of milk+eggs and fry it in a skillet until you get your desired done-ness and achieve that perfect balance of crispy edges and soft bread in the middle.
Related recipe: Savory Chicken Crepes
My savory French toast recipe below is seasoned with garlic and thyme, a tiny bit of salt, and a pinch of nutmeg, just to give it a little depth of flavor. I use powdered garlic and dried thyme, which means that I have the seasonings available in my pantry ready to make savory French toast ANYTIME.
Related recipe: Mini Quiches with Phyllo Dough
Related recipe: Savory Oatmeal
Other seasonings that I love for savory French toast:
- Everything bagel seasoning (SO GOOD! Get some here) - sprinkle it on after dipping in the egg mixture
- Grated Parmesan cheese - whisk some into the egg mixture, or sprinkle it on after dipping, or use as a garnish on top of cooked French toast
- Paprika or smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (or chili powder)
- Other fresh or dried herbs (parsley + dill, or Italian seasoning... yum!)
- Ranch seasoning (just a few pinches)
I switch up the seasonings and herbs every time!
If you like an "eggy-er" French toast, add an extra egg into the batter:
Related recipe: Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
What to serve with savory French toast
Savory French toast is PERFECT instead of plain old toast for breakfast. It goes perfectly with some fried eggs, bacon (or sausage), or even topped with some corned beef hash if you want to try something new. You can also serve this French toast with Italian sausage gravy—yum!
I usually garnish the French toast with some fresh herbs, or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.
Try serving the French toast with my Peppers Eggs in a Hole recipe!
Or use savory French toast as the bread for a breakfast sandwich or a grilled cheese. It will be SO GOOD! Whenever I want to treat my husband to a special sandwich, I make a ham and cheese grilled cheese using savory French toast. It's freakin' fantastic!
However you decide to make this French toast, I really hope you give it a try! You'll love it! If you end up making it, please take a picture and tag me on Instagram or Facebook. You can find me at @babaganoshblog on both. I love seeing your creations!
Looking for other savory recipes?
- Cheesy grits fritters with Cajun marinara sauce
- Savory cornbread with jalapenos and leeks
- Cheesy savory pancakes with green onions
- Cheddar sage cornbread
- Corn fritters
Looking for other fun breakfast recipes?
- Blueberry pancakes with Greek yogurt
- Sweet potato home fries
- Peach French toast casserole
- Pumpkin protein pancakes
- Mini phyllo quiches
- Farmer’s cheese pancakes (Syrniki – traditional Russian pancakes – one of my most popular recipes of all time!)
- Mango whipped cottage cheese
- Buckwheat breakfast bowls
- Whole wheat carrot cake pancakes
- Pumpkin French toast
- Kale and swiss chard potato frittata
- Veggie loaded no-bake frittata
- Vegetable hash with fried eggs
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Savory French Toast
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk - (any kind, I used 1%)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme - or use 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt - or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil - for frying
- 8 slices bread - (white bread, sourdough, or challah work great)
- Optional sides: Fried eggs, bacon, sausage, corned beef hash, shredded Parmesan for topping
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, thyme, salt, garlic powder, nutmeg, and black pepper.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of olive oil, spreading it evenly around the pan. Dip both sides of the bread slices into the egg mixture, shake off the excess egg mixture, then place the bread in the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes per side over medium-low heat, or until the bread is golden brown on each side. Remove from heat and repeat with remaining bread slices. Serve warm with eggs, bacon, or your favorite breakfast meats, and garnish with fresh herbs and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.