Last updated on September 4th, 2018.
These Cheesy Savory Pancakes with Scallions make a wonderful snack, breakfast, lunch *OR* dinner – make them anytime you want to get out of the recipe rut and don’t want a meal loaded with sugar. Made with 100% whole wheat, Monterey Jack cheese, and plenty of sauteed fresh scallions, you’ll love their mild scallion flavor and cheesiness.
This post contains affiliate links.
I’ve mentioned several times on this blog that I am definitely more into savory foods than sweet foods. So I often play around in the kitchen and rework a traditionally sweet recipe into something savory.
For example, I’ve made this Savory French Toast dish and loved it.
And I’ve made several versions of Savory Corn Bread, this one being one of my favorites:
I have to admit, Aldo is not a fan of all my savory experiments. He is definitely more of a sweet guy 😉 . You know that scene in the movie Elf where Will Ferrell eats spaghetti with sugar? Yea. Aldo will drown his food in syrup or condensed milk and prefers things sweet rather than savory.
But I am the one who cooks, so he doesn’t get a choice many times. Luckily most of my savory experiments turn out really good and he ends up liking them. Does he wish he could cover these pancakes in syrup?? Probably. But he still enjoyed a full plate of them.
So about these cheese savory pancakes… they are made with lots of fresh scallions. The scallions are sauteed a bit at first to bring out their sweetness and make the oniony taste very mild. It turns out lovely, trust me!
And there is also plenty of cheese in these pancakes to give them a wonderful texture that is totally different than a typical sweet breakfast pancake. I use Monterey Jack cheese, but any melty cheese you’d like to use would be fine!
I made these pancakes with 100% whole wheat flour. In many of my recipes I sing the praises of whole wheat white flour, and for good reason. It has all the benefits of whole wheat flour, but it is much lighter. So your baked goods still turn out light and fluffy and not dense at all. In many recipes it can be substituted 1:1 instead of all-purpose flour.
These savory pancakes are great when served with a dollop of lime crema, some plain Greek yogurt, or tzatziki. They can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner – basically any time you want to get out of your recipe rut and try something a little different or don’t want a meal loaded with sugar!
Oh, and my cat was totally into these pancakes too!!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave me a comment below, rate the recipe in the recipe card below, and don’t forget to pin it for later!
Cheesy Savory Pancakes with Scallions
Cheesy Pancakes with Scallions
- 3/4 cups diced green onions (from ~5-10 scallions, depending on their size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (see notes)
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups milk (1%, 2%, or whole)
- 1 egg , beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- Non-stick spray for cooking
- 1/4 cup cup sour cream
- Juice of 1/4 lime (about 1 teaspoon)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil and add the diced scallions. Stir-fry over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Combine the white whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the milk, melted butter, and beaten egg, and stir until almost combined.
- Add the chopped onions and the shredded cheese to the pancake mix in the bowl and stir until just combined - do not overmix.
- Time to cook the pancakes! Just cook these like you would cook regular pancakes: Place about 1/4 cup of batter on a greased pan, and cook over medium heat for 2-4 minutes on each side, until the top starts bubbling and the bottom is golden brown. Flip, and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Combine the sour cream, lime juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve with the pancakes.