Last updated on April 24th, 2018.
This Shepherd’s Pie with White Beans is the ultimate comfort food recipe using leftover mashed potatoes and other hearty ingredients for a delicious, easy casserole.
Last week I posted my Great Northern Irish Stew recipe, and this week I wanted to share with you this Shepherd’s Pie with White Beans that I created for Randall Beans. This Shepherd’s Pie recipe is sponsored by Randall Beans.
Even though both of these recipes are perfect for the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day, I was concerned that both of these recipes are a bit ‘too late’ in the season because the weather was starting to warm up…. but man oh man it has gotten cold here in NJ!
We just got back from vacation in Spain, and this weather is shocking compared to sunny Barcelona. I thought for sure that by the time we came back it would feel like spring back home, but instead we were welcomed back with a blizzard.
Luckily we had time to stock up on groceries since we got back and were able to pick up our cats, so we ended up with a cozy snow day at home.
This Shepherd’s Pie with White Beans recipe is ideal for a cold winter day. This dish ended up being one of my favorite meals ever, combining all the best comfort food ingredients – mashed potatoes, seasoned ground beef, peas, carrots, and beans. I really can’t get enough of it. The recipe uses fresh herbs and the flavor is just out of this world, and the best part is that this recipe is super easy to make. Your house will be filled with an irresistible smell as the casserole finishes in the oven.
This recipe contains affiliate links.
Shepherd’s Pie with White Beans
- 1 lb 85% or 90% lean ground beef
- 1 cup carrots , diced (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 14-oz can white beans (such as Great Northern), drained and rinsed
- 4-5 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese; fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a very large skillet. Add the ground beef, diced carrots, diced onions, and minced garlic. Saute over high heat for about 10 minutes, or until the ground beef is browned and the carrots and onions start to soften.
- Stir in the salt, thyme, rosemary, tomato paste, and peas, and continue to cook another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in the Great Northern Beans.
- Add the beef mixture to the baking dish, and spread the mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if using. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes, or until the Shepherd’s Pie is heated through. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves, and serve warm.