Make this Shrimp & Veggies Fried Brown Rice using leftover brown rice. It’s a quick and easy dinner that the whole family will love!
This post contains affiliate links.
I’ve got some exciting news to share: WE MOVED TO THE BAHAMAS! Yes, it still seems so unreal at times, but we moved here a little over a month ago and we are loving it. Aldo accepted a job offer in Freeport, Grand Bahama, and I am a stay-at-home mama with Elliot for now. Our cats are here too, and they are enjoying the Bahamas as well.
We are renting a furnished apartment here, and we are still waiting for our belongings to arrive (if you are ever moving internationally, ask me which moving company not to use). Most of the boxes that we are waiting for are my kitchen stuff, and I cannot wait until it all arrives. We’ve been living minimally for the last month, which is fine and all, but I miss my Instant Pot. And my mixing bowls. And my favorite pots and pans. And all my spices.
Grocery shopping has been tricky here, since I have to adapt all my recipe ideas to the limited cookware we have, and even when I do think of a great simple recipe that doesn’t mean that the grocery stores will have all the ingredients. So one of the first things we bought was a huge bag of brown rice, since that goes with everything. And little by little, we are filling our pantry, freezer, and fridge with all of our favorite ingredients.
We’ve been eating a lot of brown rice, so I’ve been making fried rice every time we have leftover rice – it’s a great way to bring new life to boring leftovers. This Shrimp & Veggies Fried Brown Rice is one of our favorite recipes because it is so flavorful and so quick and easy to make.
I’ll tell you a secret though: using brown rice to make fried rice is no different than using white rice. It’s the same easy technique, so it’s a great way to get more whole grains into your diet.
Shrimp Fried Brown Rice
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 large carrot , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger , peeled and minced
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil , divided
- 1 lb shrimp , thawed, peeled and de-veined
- Salt & pepper , to taste
- 4 cups leftover rice (I used brown rice)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 large eggs
- 2-4 tablespoons soy sauce , to taste
- 2 scallions , diced
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- In a large skillet or wok, preheat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil and add the diced onion, carrot, minced garlic and ginger. Stir fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion softens and the mixture becomes fragrant. Turn up the heat for the next steps:
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Move the onion-carrot mixture to one side of the skillet and add the shrimp to the other. Cook the shrimp over high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until fully cooked. Stir everything together and move to one side of the skillet.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to the empty side of the skillet and add the leftover rice. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until the rice is heated through. Add the frozen peas and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Move the whole mixture to one side and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to the empty side of the skillet.
- Crack the 2 eggs into the oil and scramble them with the spatula until they are mostly cooked. Stir everything together and add the soy sauce. Continue stir frying until everything is heated through and mixed well. Remove from heat and stir in the scallions and lime juice.
Kitchen stuff used in this recipe: