Smashed Chickpea Pitas are a delicious, filling lunch or snack. Topped with protein-filled Greek yogurt, crispy cucumber, fresh herbs, feta, and za’atar, these are a true Middle Eastern treat!
This post contains affiliate links.
I recently got acquainted with the Middle Eastern spice mix called Za’atar and I am pretty much obsessed with it. Just like that Frank’s Hot Sauce commercial goes: I put that S&$% on everything!
Well, in reality I mostly put it on toast, potatoes, and chicken. And I keep playing around with other recipes, such as these pitas with smashed chickpeas.
Za’atar is a mix of herbs and spices made primarily from dried hyssop leaves, dried sumac, sesame seeds, and a mix of other spices and herbs. (Don’t ask me what hyssop leaves are. Unfortunately I have never come across this plant yet.) Every middle-eastern region has their own variation of za’atar, hence the “other spices and herbs” that I mention above. The za’atar mix I have is from Amazon – this one here. It had great reviews and it did not disappoint.
I wanted to share with you my recipe for Smashed Chickpea Pita. I’ve been making this as a quick lunch pretty often since Elliot was born. You can’t beat a quick, healthy, filling lunch that can be put together in 2 minutes and is good even if you have to eat it over a couple of hours because your baby won’t let you eat a whole meal in one sitting. I can’t be the only one with this problem, right??
These yummy pitas are topped with Greek yogurt, sliced cucumber, smashed chickpeas, crumbled feta cheese, parsley leaves, and za’atar. It’s such a wonderful flavor and texture combination that it is very addicting.
Why the smashed chickpeas? Why not leave them whole?
Let me tell you why. If you smash the chickpeas a little, they stick onto the Greek yogurt much better. It’s that simple.
You can create your own combinations of toppings for these pitas if you want, on top of the smashed chickpeas. Here are some other toppings that regularly make it onto my pitas:
- pickled onions
- fresh basil
- shredded chicken
- canned tuna
Smashed Chickpea Pitas with Za’atar
- 4 pitas (regular or whole-wheat)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ~20 slices cucumber (from 1 medium cucumber)
- Salt & pepper , to taste
- 1 cup chickpeas , smashed in a bowl with a fork or a [mojito muddlerhttps://amzn.to/2JNXrgA]
- 4 - 6 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 4 teaspoons za'atar seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- Lightly toast the pitas, if you prefer, either on the lowest setting in your toaster oven or at 400F for 2-3 minutes. You can skip this step if you do not want to toast the pitas.
- Layer all the ingredients onto the pitas: Spread ~2-3 tablespoons Greek yogurt onto each pita. Top each pita with ~5 cucumber slices. Season with salt & pepper, if desired. Add a 1/4 cup smashed chickpeas, 1-1.5 oz feta cheese to each pita. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon za'atar and fresh parsley leaves. Serve immediately: eat the pitas whole or slice into quarters.
Shop this recipe: