Last updated on April 24th, 2018.
This fresh, colorful Calamari Potato Salad is an inspiration from our travels in Spain. It’s perfect for a light lunch, as a side for dinner, or for a party!
After my Calamari Salad was featured in this amazing roundup of recipes by Happy Healthy Mama, I’ve been craving this fresh, flavorful salad again. It’s perfect for this hot summer weather, since it’s so easy to make and it’s great served cold for lunch or dinner. But I wanted to make something a little different, and a little more filling… and immediately potatoes came to mind.
Earlier this year Aldo and I went to Spain – Madrid and Barcelona. It was like a food heaven to me: so many cheeses, charcuterie, tapas, and best of all – so many dishes contained potatoes and/or seafood! I loved Spanish style potatoes and octopus, drizzled in really delicious olive oil and fresh lemon juice. That simple dish was one of my favorites from our trip, and it is what inspired this Calamari Potato Salad.
This salad is super quick to make – it’s ready in less than a half hour and requires minimal cooking. Just boil some potatoes, take a couple of minutes to cook the calamari, and toss all the ingredients in a large bowl. The simple dressing with lemon juice and olive oil is just perfect to tie all the flavors together with lots of fresh parsley and a little bite from the red onion. I couldn’t get enough!
The salad tastes wonderful when it is freshly made while the potatoes are still warm, because the warms of the potatoes brings out the fresh parsley and lemon flavors, but it is also great served cold after chilling in the fridge. So basically, it makes for delicious leftovers if you don’t finish it all in one sitting. 😉
This recipe contains affiliate links.
Spanish Style Calamari Potato Salad
- 1 lb baby potatoes , halved or quartered if they are not bite sized
- 1 lb fresh squid/calamari rings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 2 small bell peppers , seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves , chopped
- Salt & pepper , about 1/2 teaspoon each
- Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for about 5-8 minutes, or until they are easily pierced with a fork. Drain and rinse under cold water. It is fine if the potatoes are still warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Season the calamari rings with salt & pepper (to taste), and cook the calamari rings over high heat for 2-4 minutes, or until they are fully cooked.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, juice of 1/2 lemon, sliced red onion, and mix well. Add the sliced bell peppers, chopped parsley, cooked potatoes, and cooked calamari and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste, about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge and serve cold.
If you are looking for more easy seafood recipes: