This Feta Sun-Dried Tomato Spread is an amazingly flavorful and easy appetizer worthy of any party or charcuterie board.
Give it a try if you love sun-dried tomatoes, feta, and fresh Mediterranean-inspired flavors!
Do you ever see strangers eating something good and lean over to ask them what they are eating? I am that weirdo that does this (well, at least before 2020 came around).
We were at an outdoor concert one summer and saw the couple next to us pull out this amazing spread of food. One of them was this dip that I couldn't identify, so I *HAD* to ask what it was.
When they told me it was a a mixture of feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, I knew I had to make that at home sometime.
So I came home, played around with the ingredients a few times and here is my recipe for this Feta Sun-Dried Tomato Spread!
Feta sun-dried tomato spread ingredients
This recipe has tons of flavor from the salty, creamy, tangy feta cheese and subtly-sweet sun-dried tomatoes. I add fresh garlic (don't use powdered garlic here!) and fresh lemon juice and parsley to add more flavor.
This spread has a strong flavor so a little bit goes a long way when serving, making it a great appetizer when serving a crowd.
This recipe below makes enough for 6-8 people, assuming there are other appetizers to munch on.
You can play around with the ratio of ingredients you use, but here's what I used for the dip:
- ½ cup sun-dried tomato (I recommend using oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, such as these)
- 4 oz feta cheese (add this last! more on this later!)
- ¼ cup olive oil (use a nice olive oil, such as this one)
- 1 garlic clove (start with one, even if you're the "double the garlic" type of person. Remember, fresh garlic is pretty strong and you're not making a huge amount here)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves (fresh is best for this recipe!)
I don't know if you caught on, but fresh is best for this recipe. Dried herbs, dried garlic powder, and bottled lemon juice just don't have the same flavor as the fresh ingredients.
This appetizer has just 6 ingredients, so you can probably manage to do the little extra step of squeezing a lemon or peeling a garlic clove! I always use either this citrus squeezer or this citrus juicer whenever I need fresh lemon or lime juice. It takes just a few seconds and is so worth it!
I don't even add salt to this appetizer because the feta cheese is salty enough for me... but you do you! Give it a taste and see if it needs some salt to liven it up.
This sun-dried tomato spread / dip couldn't be easier to make! You throw all the ingredients in a small food processor (except the feta - that comes later) and process together. Then add the feta cheese and pulse a few times until everything is combined (or process further if you want to make it creamier and smoother).
This easy appetizer has a TON of flavor and is always a favorite when we make it for others.
I use a small food processor for this recipe, and it's PERFECT for it. This is the one I use and have used in my kitchen for over 10 years.
It's just the right size so you don't lose half the ingredients by having them stick to the large bowl.
Ideas for serving
The easiest way to serve this appetizer is to use it as a dip or a spread.
Here's what we typically serve with it:
- Pita chips or toasted pita wedges
- Baby carrots
- Sliced radishes
- Cherry tomatoes
You can also serve this spread as part of a charcuterie board, or as a spread on toast.
However you decide to serve this spread, I hope you love it! If you end up making it, please take a picture and tag me on Instagram or Facebook. You can find me at @babaganoshblog on both. I love seeing your creations!
Looking for other easy dips?
- Hummus with feta and olives
- Beet baba ganoush
- Cheesy chicken corn dip
- Buffalo chicken cheese dip
- Seafood spread appetizer
- White bean dip
- Healthy peanut butter fruit dip
- No-bake key lime pie cheesecake dip
- Cheesy seafood dip
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Feta Sun-Dried Tomato Spread
- Combine all ingredients, except for the feta, in a small food processor. Pulse for a few seconds until the sun-dried tomatoes are either crumbled or form a paste (it really depends on how dry or oily your sun-dried tomatoes were). You might have to stop and scrape down the sides several times.
- Add the feta cheese and process for a few seconds until everything comes together, or continue to process until smoother - your choice! Serve with sliced veggies, crackers, or with pita chips (see notes for recipe).
- If using dried sun-dried tomatoes instead of tomatoes packed in oil, soak them in warm water for 5 minutes, drain the water, then use the tomatoes for this recipe
- If you want a creamier dip instead of a spread, drizzle in more olive oil or water (a tablespoon at a time). The water will make it less creamy but will cut down on calories
- To make toasted pita chips, brush pita bread with olive oil, and season with sea salt, garlic powder, and dried herbs (such as basil, parsley, oregano, or a mixture). Slice into wedges or smaller chips and toast in a toaster oven or bake at 400F for 4-8 minutes, or until the pitas are toasted. Allow to cool, then enjoy. (I also use serve these pita chips with my Hummus with Feta and Olives)