This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CrispyCreations #CrispiestChicken #CollectiveBias
Want to know the secret to the crispiest chicken nuggets? Argo® Corn Starch! These Hidden Vegetable Chicken Nuggets are made with sweet potato for added nutrition and use Argo® Corn Starch in the breading to get the crispiest texture. Dip them into the homemade sweet and sour sauce, and your whole family will love these!
If you’ve been following along with my blog, you know I’ve got a super picky eater toddler, and for a long time we struggled getting him to eat nutritious food. So I’ve gotten creative in making healthier versions of his favorite foods by adding vegetables anywhere that I can sneak them in.
That’s how these Sweet Potato Chicken Nuggets were born. They are made with ground chicken and cooked sweet potato for extra nutrition. There is no other filler in the meat mixture, just salt and a few kid-friendly spices. So they’re super simple, tasty, and wholesome.
The whole family loves these. We love sitting down for a dinner we can all enjoy together instead of cooking separate meals for my son.
The best part about these nuggets is how absolutely crispy they are.
Texture is a huuuuuge deal for toddlers and picky eaters. Get the texture right, and they’ll eat mostly anything you cook.
These Sweet Potato Chicken Nuggets are coated in a 50/50 Flour/Argo® Corn Starch mix for the ultimate chicken nugget texture. The flour + corn starch mix makes a light and crispy breading. They are the crispiest chicken nuggets I’ve ever made.
The second best part about these? The sweet and sour dipping sauce. Read on to get the recipe for both the sauce and the nuggets!
How to Make Sweet Potato Chicken Nuggets
Here are a few tips on how to make these nuggets with the least fuss!
1. Start with a cooked sweet potato. You can roast it (~45 minutes), boil it (~15-20 minutes), or microwave it (~4-6 minutes) until it is fork tender, but make sure it’s cooled down enough to handle with your hands before you start on this recipe.
Peel the cooked sweet potato and discard the peels.
If you can get ground chicken that is not super lean, that is best. Super lean chicken breast will lead to tougher nuggets. If you can get a mixture of chicken breast and dark chicken meat in your ground chicken, that is the best for these nuggets. If all you can find is lean chicken breast, that’s fine too, don’t worry!
Mash the sweet potato with a fork in a large bowl. Add the ground chicken, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and dried parsley. Don’t put away the seasonings or the measuring spoons! You’ll need them in the next step. Mix well.
2. In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup Argo® Corn Starch. Season well with all the same seasonings.
3. Grab another small bowl and add some water to it. You’ll need to wet your hands in the water in between every nugget to keep the meat mixture from sticking to your hands as you form the nuggets.
4. Take about 1 heaping tablespoon of the chicken and sweet potato mixture and form it into a patty with your hands. Dredge the nugget in the Argo® Corn Starch + flour mixture and place on an oiled baking sheet. Dip your hands into the water and form the next nugget.
5. Spray the tops of the nuggets with an oil spray (try to get one that is pure oil, instead of one that has propellants in it – meaning, don’t get “non-stick spray” ). The oil will help the nuggets crisp up as they bake, but they won’t be greasy like deep fried chicken nuggets. A fine mist of oil adds only a tiny bit of fat to these chicken nuggets.
6. Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes. Flip them halfway through so that both sides get nice and browned.
How to reheat chicken nuggets:
Chicken nuggets are best reheated in the oven or a toaster oven. This will bring back their crispiness, unlike reheating them in the microwave. To reheat these, preheat the oven to 400F and bake for 6-8 minutes, or until they are heated through.
Can you freeze chicken nuggets?
These chicken nuggets with sweet potato can be frozen! To freeze them, just place them on a dish or a tray in a single layer and put them in the freezer. Once they are frozen, you can transfer them all to a freezer bag or a freezer-safe container.
To reheat frozen chicken nuggets, preheat the oven to 400F, and bake them for about 10 minutes, or until they are heated through.
Dipping sauce for chicken nuggets
The sweet and sour sauce is actually made with Argo® Corn Starch as well, which thickens the sauce and gives it that nice sheen. The sauce takes less than 5 minutes to make, so you can make it while the nuggets are baking. I love that corn starch has so many uses beyond chicken.
Corn starch is commonly used in Asian cooking for thickening stir fry sauces, but of course you knew that. Now I just encourage you to try it in ALL your chicken recipes for the crispiest, crunchiest chicken. You can use it in a 50/50 mixture with flour for air-fried chicken, fried chicken, and these oven-baked chicken nuggets. It makes for the best crispy, airy chicken breading. And of course, it’s naturally gluten free so you can use a gluten free flour to keep the whole recipe gluten free if you need to.
Using Argo® Corn Starch is like having a secret super power – it’s the secret ingredient for so many recipes. And in addition to elevating your cooking, you can use Argo® Corn Starch to make slime, oobleck, homemade edible finger paints for your kids, and so much more! If you don’t know what oobleck is, look it up. You’re welcome. Thank goodness the corn starch comes in the large 16 oz container! Look for the new round container in stores.
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don’t forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later:
Crispiest Sweet Potato Chicken Nuggets
- large baking sheet
Chicken and Sweet Potato Nuggets Mixture
- 1 medium sweet potato cooked and peeled (see notes)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste (I used 3/4 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Argo® Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Sweet and Sour Dip
- 1 cup sweet and sour dip (click for recipe)
- bowl of cold water
- oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a large baking sheet with oil.
- In a large bowl, mash the cooked sweet potato with a fork until mostly smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients for the chicken nugget mixture and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crispy breading and mix well.
- Dip your hands into the bowl of cold water. With wet hands, take about one rounded tablespoon of the chicken mixture and form a nugget with your hands. Dredge it in the crispy breading mixture, gently shake off the extra breading, and place on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat until all the nuggets are formed.
- Spray the tops of the nuggets with the oil spray, and bake at 400F for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked, flipping the nuggets about halfway through. Serve warm with the sweet and sour dipping sauce or ketchup.
- One medium sweet potato should yield about 1.5 cups of mashed sweet potato. It's OK if you have more or less sweet potato, this recipe works well anyway.
- Read the blog post for instructions for reheating and freezing these nuggets.
- The nutrition facts estimate does not include the dipping sauce or ketchup.