Last updated on January 9th, 2020.
Cozy up with a bowl of this delicious, flavorful Sweet Potato Leek Soup. You’ll love this healthier twist on the classic potato leek soup.
As some of you may know, I have an 11 month old son. And I am pretty obsessed with trying to get him to eat a variety of food. We won’t tolerate picky eaters in my house!! Just kidding, we’ll love him either way. But I am trying to expose him to as many flavors as possible now before we get into the terrible toddler years.
I wasn’t even thinking about baby food when I made this Sweet Potato Leek Soup. I just wanted a flavorful, healthy, easy, filling soup. A soup that goes great with crackers. Or with a baguette that is topped with cheese and broiled.
I realized this would make awesome baby food when I went to puree the soup. Luckily our son thought so too – he ate about a quarter cup before he decided playing with his food is more fun. As usual.
Sweet Potato Leek Soup
I love this version of the classic potato leek soup. Sweet potatoes have so much more flavor and are so much healthier than white potatoes.
I also use a teaspoon of turmeric in this recipe which adds a bit of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to the soup. I try to add turmeric powder to a lot of my cooking. I love the yellow color and I think turmeric tastes pretty neutral so it goes perfectly well into many dishes. I think this soup is perfect for adding turmeric.
Give this Sweet Potato Leek Soup recipe a try! It is a great soup during colder weather and even when it is getting a littler warmer out – it’s easy to make and something about its bright, festive color makes me want to eat it year round.
Looking for other healthy, easy comfort food recipes?
Try these reader favorites:
- Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
- Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup with Black beans
- Vegetarian Grits with Roasted Cajun Sweet Potato, Chickpeas, and Kale
- Creamy Vegan Carrot Soup with Parsley Pistou
- Butternut Squash Lentil Soup with Toasted Garlicky Pita Wedges
- Shrimp and Sweet Potato Coconut Curry
- Chipotle Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don’t forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later! Click the picture below to save to Pinterest:
Sweet Potato Leek Soup
- 1 large leek (about 1/2 lb, or 3 cups sliced leek)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1.5 lb sweet potato (1 very large or 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- Salt & pepper, to taste (1/8 teaspoon each is a good start)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves , chopped, for garnish
- Prepare all the ingredients: Thinly slice the leek, discarding the tough green parts. Rinse the leek very well - it traps dirt easily. Mince the garlic cloves. Peel the sweet potato and dice into ~2 inch pieces
- Cook the soup: In a 3-4 quart soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the sliced leek, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes, if using. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. This will allow the leeks to release their sweet flavor. If you wish, set aside about 2 tablespoons of sauteed leeks for garnish
- Add the vegetable stock, diced sweet potato, and turmeric. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fully cooked.
- Use an immersion blender to carefully blend the soup until the desired consistency. I like mine mostly smooth with a few chunks of sweet potato left. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves and sauteed leeks.