This Sweet Potato Sausage Skillet is ready in just over a half hour and is a complete (and completely tasty!) meal. Tender bite-sized sweet potatoes, spicy Italian sausage, with a fragrant mix of bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic make this a family favorite.
I am all about the easy skillet dinners lately. I love just throwing everything into one pan, letting some cooking magic happen, and ending up with a delicious easy dish.
This Sweet Potato Sausage skillet is a perfect example. Once all the ingredients are chopped, it is super easy: Everything gets added to the pan, stirred once in a while, and voila! Dinner.
I love this sweet potato & sausage recipe because it is a great well-balanced meal. Sweet potatoes act as both a starch and a vegetable to me (no, I am not a nutritionist, why do you ask??) since they are filling and at the same time they are packed with fiber and vitamins. But I also add some more 'legit' vegetables, just to make this dish even healthier: some bell pepper, celery, and onions.
Bell pepper, celery, and onions are the "holy trinity" of New Orleans cooking. And since New Orleans cuisine is amazing I try to add the trio to as many of my recipes as possible. It's always a win. In addition to the flavors of this holy trinity, spicy Italian sausage adds a ton of flavor to this dish.
If you are not a fan of spicy food, just use sweet Italian sausage and leave out the jalapeno. No one will complain, I guarantee it. There are enough flavors in this Sweet Potato Sausage recipe that no one will miss the spice.
If you're looking for other healthy skillet recipes, try these reader favorites:
- Butternut squash and spinach skillet
- Sweet potato pulled pork hash - one of my favorite meals EVER!
- Garlic chili chicken and peppers skillet
- Veggie-loaded chorizo skillet
- 20-minute Shrimp and sausage skillet
- Vegetable hash
- Cajun shrimp & sweet potato hash
Did you make this recipe? Are you thinking about making it?? Let me know with a comment below! And don't forget to rate it by clicking the stars in the recipe card below.
Please share this on Facebook and save it for later on Pinterest:
Sweet Potato Sausage Skillet with Bell Peppers
- 2 lbs sweet potato , cubed into ½ inch pieces (about 2 medium sweet potatoes, or 6 cups)
- Optional: 1 jalapeno pepper , seeds removed and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper , to taste (¼ teaspoon is a good start)
- 1 lb Italian sausage meat (4 sausages, removed from casings)
- 1 green bell pepper , diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion , diced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs , diced into ⅛ inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- Juice of ½ lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- Preheat a large skillet (12 inches wide with high sides is ideal) with vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced sweet potato and jalapeno, if using and spread evenly around the skillet. Allow the sweet potato to cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, so that it starts to brown. Stir well, season with salt and pepper, and allow to cook another 2-3 minutes undisturbed.
- Push the sweet potato to one side and add the sausage meat. Cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, breaking up the sausage meat so that it cooks on all sides.
- Stir the sweet potato and sausage meat together. Add the diced pepper, onion, and garlic and stir well. Cover with a lid and continue to cook stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fully cooked and a fork can easily pierce it. Remove from heat, stir in oregano and lime juice.