Last updated on April 5th, 2019.
This Sweet Potato Sausage Skillet is ready in just over a half hour and is a complete (and completely tasty!) meal. Tender bite-sized sweet potatoes, spicy Italian sausage, with a fragrant mix of bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic make this a family favorite.
This post may contain affiliate links.
I am all about the easy skillet dinners lately. I love just throwing everything into one pan, letting some cooking magic happen, and ending up with a delicious easy dish.
This Sweet Potato Sausage skillet is a perfect example. Once all the ingredients are chopped, it is super easy: Everything gets added to the pan, stirred once in a while, and voila! Dinner.
I love this sweet potato & sausage recipe because it is a great well-balanced meal. Sweet potatoes act as both a starch and a vegetable to me (no, I am not a nutritionist, why do you ask??) since they are filling and at the same time they are packed with fiber and vitamins. But I also add some more ‘legit’ vegetables, just to make this dish even healthier: some bell pepper, celery, and onions.
Bell pepper, celery, and onions are the “holy trinity” of New Orleans cooking. And since New Orleans cuisine is amazing I try to add the trio to as many of my recipes as possible. It’s always a win. In addition to the flavors of this holy trinity, spicy Italian sausage adds a ton of flavor to this dish.
If you are not a fan of spicy food, just use sweet Italian sausage and leave out the jalapeno. No one will complain, I guarantee it. There are enough flavors in this Sweet Potato Sausage recipe that no one will miss the spice.
Sweet Potato Sausage Skillet with Bell Peppers
- 2 lbs sweet potato , cubed into 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 medium sweet potatoes, or 6 cups)
- Optional: 1 jalapeno pepper , seeds removed and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper , to taste (1/4 teaspoon is a good start)
- 1 lb Italian sausage meat (4 sausages, removed from casings)
- 1 green bell pepper , diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion , diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs , diced into 1/8 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- Juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- Preheat a large skillet (12 inches wide with high sides is ideal) with vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced sweet potato and jalapeno, if using and spread evenly around the skillet. Allow the sweet potato to cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, so that it starts to brown. Stir well, season with salt and pepper, and allow to cook another 2-3 minutes undisturbed.
- Push the sweet potato to one side and add the sausage meat. Cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, breaking up the sausage meat so that it cooks on all sides.
- Stir the sweet potato and sausage meat together. Add the diced pepper, onion, and garlic and stir well. Cover with a lid and continue to cook stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fully cooked and a fork can easily pierce it. Remove from heat, stir in oregano and lime juice.