This gorgeous Tropical Shrimp Avocado Salad Boats appetizer with yummy shrimp, juicy mango, and creamy avocado is sure to be a favorite!
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure.
We had a pretty hectic weekend. It started with a phone call from my mom on Friday night – she was in a really scary car accident. She is totally fine, got out with just a bruise on her shin, but all the air bags went off and it was just super scary for her. I am so relieved she is OK…
I knew when I saw the phone ringing Friday that something wasn’t right since she was supposed to be headed to upstate NY to go camping at that time. Aldo and I drove up to pick her up and still drove her camping (hey, why go home and miss out on a good weekend??) and she got a ride home from camping friends.
It was a long Friday night though.
On Saturday morning we got woken up by a phone call from Aldo’s mom: her car has a ton of problems and she doesn’t feel safe driving it. So we went to switch cars with her so Aldo can take her car to our mechanic.
Luckily that was it for car troubles this weekend. The weekend turned around when I made one of my favorite recipes: Tropical Shrimp Avocado Salad Boats.
This is one of my favorite summer salads, and it is also a great appetizer for dinner.
It’s healthy, yummy, filling, and just tastes so fresh! The combination of slightly spicy shrimp with the sweet mango and creamy avocado is wonderful. The presentation of the salad in avocado boats is also very impressive to dinner guests. We didn’t have anyone coming over, but once Aldo saw the plating he said ”Ooh, are we being fancy tonight?” Yes we are!!
This salad can also be served over greens – baby spinach, baby arugula, or mixed greens. Give it all a stir and the yummy dressing from the shrimp avocado salad will make the perfect creamy dressing for your greens as well!
How to make Tropical Shrimp Avocado Salad Boats:
You might also love these recipes:
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know with a comment and a star rating below! And don’t forget to save it for later on Pinterest:
Tropical Shrimp Avocado Salad Boats
- 12 oz medium shrimp , peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 mango , chopped
- 1 avocado , green flesh removed and chopped (reserve the avocado skins to serve the salad!)
- 1 bell pepper , chopped
- 2 scallions , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , grated
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lime about 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt , pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon each)
- Mix together the shrimp with the chili powder. Preheat a large skillet with olive oil. Cook shrimp about 2 minutes per side, or until fully cooked. Place in a large bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the shrimp and mix well. Chill for 10 minutes before serving. Serve in avocado boats or over your favorite.