Last updated on July 31st, 2019.
Aldo and I just got back from vacation and we are so tired of eating out. I wanted to cook something homemade and wanted to eat something healthier for a change. But we are also just so tired, since we flew home on a red-eye flight and can’t seem to catch up on sleep between work and errands. For times like these, it’s good to have a box of pasta and a jar of sauce on hand.
Pasta with a creamy sauce is far from healthy, but I added a bunch of vegetables to it – yellow squash and spinach, and basil for some fresh flavor. And the most important part is that this is faster to prepare than waiting for Chinese food delivery, so we can avoid getting hangry. I’m very grumpy when I am hungry.
I froze a bunch of squash before going on vacation so we would have vegetables when we get back, so I used thawed squash, but fresh squash would be even better.
This meal is very quick to prepare – the squash and spinach are cooked while the water is boiling, so they don’t require any extra time.
Pasta with Alfredo Sauce and Vegetables
- 1 box whole wheat pasta (I used penne rigate)
- 1 jar Alfredo sauce (I used Bertolli Mushroom Alfredo)
- 2 large handfuls spinach, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 3 cups yellow squash or zucchini, chopped
- Small handful basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Parmesan for serving
1. Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
2. While the water is boiling and the pasta is cooking, chop the spinach, basil, and squash.
3. In a large sauce pan, heat up some olive oil. Add the squash, and saute for 2 minutes while stirring.
4. Add the spinach, saute until it starts to wilt.
5. Add the whole jar of sauce, and the basil. Stir well, and heat until it starts boiling. Stir one more time, and remove from heat.
6. Combine sauce with pasta and stir well.
7. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
And that’s it!