Last updated on May 16th, 2018.
This recipe for Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Pancakes always makes fluffy, tasty pancakes – you’d never know they are 100% whole wheat! Freshly grated carrots and yummy spices make this pancake recipe taste as good as carrot cake.
This post contains affiliate links.
Ever since I made my Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes, I’ve been on a kick to keep our breakfasts interesting. I keep wanting to make pumpkin pancakes (one of my favorites!), but we just keep getting more and more carrots in our CSA. So I decided to get creative and make carrot cake pancakes!
Of course, I used white whole wheat flour to make these carrot cake pancakes, just like I do for most recipes, such as these Banana Chia Seed Cinnamon Muffins with Pecans. It’s my secret trick – it doesn’t get as dense or heavy as regular whole wheat flour. This means that I can use 100% whole wheat flour in my recipes for muffins, pancakes, etc., and you would never know the difference.
The awesome thing about these whole wheat carrot cake pancakes (other than the flavor, of course), is that you can customize them a bit to your liking – you can add raisins and/or walnuts and/or pecans. Or you can increase the spice if you like that sort of thing. This is YOUR breakfast, so you do what you want with it!
Serve these Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Pancakes as usual with butter and maple syrup, or try topping them with a dollop of Greek Yogurt and a drizzle of honey.
Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 3-4 medium carrots)
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 4 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 egg
- 1.5 cups milk (any kind)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark, or turbinado)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup raisins or crushed walnuts/pecans (or a combination)
- Vegetable oil, coconut oil, or butter for cooking
- Peel and grate the carrots. If you end up having more than 1 cup of grated carrots from the 3-4 medium carrots, that's OK, this recipe can easily handle up to 1.5 cups of grated carrots.
Microwave the grated carrots for 3 minutes on medium, or until the carrots are soft and partially cooked.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl - flour, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients in a bowl until well combined - melted butter, sugar, egg, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until almost combined.Add the grated carrots and raisins/walnuts. Stir until everything is just combined, but do not overmix!
- Heat some oil or butter in a skillet. Use heaping tablespoons (or an ice cream scoop with a release mechanism!) to add the pancake batter to the pan. Cook about 2-3 minutes on medium/low heat, or until little bubbles start forming at the surface. Flip each pancake, and cook about 2-3 minutes on the other side, or until the inside is fully cooked.