Chocolate Covered Matzo with Coconut
10 minutes is all you need to prep this easy Passover dessert of chocolate covered matzo with coconut flakes. See the recipe notes for lots of other topping ideas
Prep Time1 hr 10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Cooldown time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 18 pieces
- 6 oz chocolate (about 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks) milk or dark chocolate, see notes
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable oil (optional, see notes)
- 3 squares matzo
- 1/4 cup sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes see notes for other topping ideas
Use a microwave or a double boiler to melt the chocolate. If using a microwave, heat it for 30 seconds at a time, stir, then heat again until fully melted.Stir in coconut oil or vegetable oil, if using. The oil will make the chocolate flow better, but it's not required (see notes).
Arrange the matzo on a large cutting board, over parchment paper, or over a cooling rack. Drizzle the chocolate evenly over the 3 matzo, and use a spoon to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the matzo.
Toast the coconut flakes in a non-stick pan over medium heat for 30-60 seconds, or until golden brown. Sprinkle the toasted coconut flakes over the matzo. Place in the fridge to cool for about an hour, or until the chocolate is set.
Break each matza into thirds along the ridges, then break each third in half. Enjoy! Store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3-5 days (or in the fridge, if you live in a warm or humid climate).
- You can use milk or dark chocolate, whatever you prefer! You can use chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, a broken up chocolate bar, or this amazing finely grated chocolate, if using dark chocolate. It melts like a dream and has a wonderful flavor with essences of orange and vanilla.
- If you want your chocolate to be a little more liquid and not as thick when it melts, stir in a teaspoon or two of coconut oil or any vegetable oil. It will not affect the flavor of the chocolate matzo, but will help you spread the chocolate over the matzo evenly.
- Other chocolate matzo topping ideas:
Calories: 56kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 32mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg