Cajun Shrimp Sweet Potato Hash
Cajun Shrimp Sweet Potato Hash is a delicious, healthy dish filled with sweet potatoes, beans, corn, and Cajun shrimp.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning , divided (or to taste)
- 1 lb shrimp , thawed if frozen, tails removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 large yellow onion , diced
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes , cubed into 1/2 inch pieces (about 5 cups, or 2 medium-large sweet potatoes)
- 1 24-oz can kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can corn , rinsed and drained (or about 1-1.5 cups frozen corn)
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or cilantro for garnish
Prepare all the ingredients: rinse and chop the sweet potatoes, dice the onion, drain and rinse the kidney beans and corn. Clean the shrimp.
In a medium bowl, combine the cleaned shrimp with 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning. If your Cajun seasoning doesn't have salt, add a generous pinch of salt. Stir well. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and then add the shrimp. Cook shrimp about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until fully cooked. Set aside onto a clean plate.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the same skillet and add the diced onion. Saute the onion for about 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to soften. Add the cubed sweet potatoes, the remaining olive oil, and the rest of the Cajun seasoning and stir well. Continue to cook for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are full cooked, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
Add the kidney beans and corn, and stir well. Allow to heat through for 2-3 minutes, and then add in the shrimp and lime juice. Stir well. Remove from heat and garnish with chopped chives or cilantro.
Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 286mg | Sodium: 976mg | Potassium: 664mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 24130IU | Vitamin C: 8.7mg | Calcium: 215mg | Iron: 3.5mg