Taco Brown Rice Bowls
Brown Rice Taco Bowls with Lime Crema - a quick, healthy, filling flavorful dinner that is also great for meal prep.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 2 cups brown rice , uncooked
- water for cooking the rice
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (from 1/2 - 1 lime)
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning , to taste
- Optional: Salt and pepper , to taste (see notes)
- 1 15-oz can corn , drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can black beans , drained and rinse
- 2 small tomatoes , thinly sliced (or substitute 1/2 cup tomato salsa)
- 1 Hass avocado thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro leaves or sliced scallions for garnish
Cook brown rice according to the package instructions. Prepare the rest of the taco bowls while the rice is cooking Slice the tomatoes and avocado. Prepare the lime crema: In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon of water and stir well. Season with a pinch of salt. Add more water 1/2 tablespoon at a time until you reach a desired consistency. Heat the olive oil in a medium-large skillet over high heat. Add the ground beef and allow to brown on the underside for 2-3 minutes. Use a spatula to break up the ground beef and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning (to taste). Season with salt and pepper, if desired (see notes). Drain the liquid and remove from skillet. Add the corn kernels to the same skillet and stir fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the corn is heated through. Remove corn from skillet. Add the black beans and stir fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the black beans are heated through. Remove from skillet. (The corn and black beans can be combined in the skillet, if preferred). Assemble the rice bowls: Divide the cooked rice between 4 bowls. Top each brown with 1/4 of the cooked ground beef, corn, black beans, tomatoes, avocado. Top with cheese, cilantro or diced scallions, and drizzle with lime crema.
- If your taco seasoning already has salt, you might not need to add any more. Check the ingredients list!
- You can heat up the corn and black beans together in the skillet if you don't mind mixing them all up.
- Instead of sliced tomatoes, you can put about 2 tablespoons chunky tomato salsa on each taco brown rice bowl (1/2 cup total for 4 servings).
Shop for this recipe:
Calories: 712kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 192mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 245IU | Vitamin C: 6.4mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 2.5mg