Cauliflower Fritters with Garlic Dill Aioli
Cauliflower Fritters with Garlic Dill Aioli - an easy, healthy cauliflower pancake recipe that works for breakfast, brunch, as a side dish, or afternoon snack.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 16 fitters (4 servings)
- 1 large cauliflower (or 5 cups riced cauliflower, see notes)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour (plus 1/4 cup extra, if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, such as dill , finely minced
- 3/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil , for cooking
Garlic Dill Aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or use sour cream or plain Greek yogurt instead)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 large garlic clove , finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill , finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
Make riced cauliflower by grating the cauliflower or pulsing it in a food processor several times. If using a food processor, you might need to do this in a few batches. You will need about 5 cups of riced cauliflower for this recipe. It is OK if you only have 4 cups or have a little more than 5 cups.
Pre-cook the riced cauliflower: (This step is optional, but will give the cauliflower fritters a nicer texture and will help them stay together.) Place the cauliflower into a large microwaveable bowl and microwave for 5 minutes, just so the cauliflower softens a bit. It will reduce in volume to about 4 cups. Alternatively, you can steam the cauliflower in a steamer basket for 3-5 minutes.
While the riced cauliflower rice is cooking, prepare the Garlic Dill Aioli: combine all the aioli ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. In a large bowl, combine the pre-cooked riced cauliflower, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder, and 2-3 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs. Mix well. If the mixture seems too wet, add another 1/4 cup flour and mix well. It is OK if the mixture is wet In a large skillet, heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Scoop 1/4 cup of the cauliflower fritter mixture into the skillet and press down to form a round fritter (this is easiest to do with an ice cream scoop with a squeeze-release mechanism). Add 5-6 fritters to the skillet (do not crowd them!) and cook for 3-5 minutes per side over medium/high heat. Flip each fritter, and cook on the other side for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from skillet and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the extra oil. Add more oil and repeat this step until all the cauliflower fritters are cooked. Serve warm with garlic dill aioli.
- If you are starting with cauliflower rice instead of a whole head of cauliflower, microwave the cauliflower rice for 2-3 minutes, so that it softens a little.
- You can use lemon or lime juice for the aioli.
- You can try different herbs instead of just dill for this recipe, both in the cauliflower fritters and the aioli.
Calories: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 7mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 0.1mg