Buckwheat Bowls with Roasted Vegetables
These Buckwheat Bowls with Roasted Vegetables are packed with power food ingredients. These delicious bowls are incredibly healthy, filling, and make a great comfort food dinner. The Tahini Sauce drizzle on top is amazing!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
- 1 large carrot , peeled and cubed
- 1 small sweet potato scrubbed clean and cubed
- 1/2 cauliflower head , cleaned and cut into small florets
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- olive oil, salt, and pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1.5 cups buckwheat groats , uncooked
- 3 cup water (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt , to taste
- 1/4 cup pepitas , toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves , finely diced
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese , crumbled (omit for vegan option)
Preheat oven to 400F. Brush or spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. Prepare all the veggies: wash everything. Cube the sweet potatoes and carrots (make the carrots a bit smaller than the sweet potatoes, since they take longer to cook). Thinly slice the red onion. Separate the cauliflower into florets and cut into smaller pieces.
Place all the vegetables onto the roasting dish, spray with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast at 400F for 15-20 minutes, or until desired done-ness. (Tip: I remove the red onion after 15 minutes, because it cooks the fastest, and then place the rest of the veggies back into the oven.
While the vegetables are roasting, cook the buckwheat: Toast the uncooked buckwheat groats on a large dry pan for about 5 minutes over medium heat. This step is optional, but adds a nice nutty toasted flavor to the buckwheat. Combine 3 cups of water and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the 1.5 cups of buckwheat, stir, cover with a lid, lower the heat, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the buckwheat is fully cooked (it should be a bit softer than cooked rice). If there is still water remaining, strain it out in a colander.
While the buckwheat is cooking, prepare the tahini sauce: combine all the ingredients in a small food processor (or a personal blender) and blend until smooth. Add more salt if needed.
Assemble the Buckwheat Bowls
Toast the pepitas on a dry pan for 3-5 minutes over medium heat. (You can do this while the vegetables are roasting.) Add 1 cup of cooked buckwheat to a bowl. Top with one fourth of the vegetables. Add some crumbled feta and chopped parsley. Drizzle with tahini sauce. Serve warm.
Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 1223mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 9.1mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 1mg