Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
A creamy vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Soup for all the peanut butter lovers out there! A silky smooth, rich soup with subtle hints of coconut milk, fire-roasted tomatoes, and peanut butter. A true treat if you want something warm, tasty, and satisfying!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Cool down time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1.5 lb sweet potato cut into 1 inch pieces (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 1 14-oz can light coconut milk
- 1 14-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (or more to taste - up to 1/2 cup total)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from 1/2 lime
- Optional ingredients: red pepper flakes, fresh jalapeno, turmeric, berbere, fresh cilantro leaves
In a 4-5 quart soup pot with a heavy bottom, heat the coconut oil and saute the diced onion for about 5 minutes. Add the ground cumin and ground coriander and saute another minute. Add red pepper flakes, berbere seasoning, or fresh jalapeno for some spice, if you like.
Add the cubed sweet potato, coconut milk, and fire-roasted diced tomatoes. Add salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fully cooked. Remove from heat. Stir in the peanut butter until it is fully dissolved. Add a handful of fresh cilantro leaves or a pinch of turmeric, if you wish.
Allow the soup to cool for about 20 minutes. Use an immersion blender or large blender to puree the soup to desired smoothness (feel free to leave some chunks of sweet potato and tomatoes!). Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 485mg | Potassium: 753mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 24132IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 2mg