Last updated on May 28th, 2019.
A recipe for Pan-Seared Salmon Steaks with delicious sauteed onions, served with a fresh Watercress Chickpea Salad with a quick lemon & olive oil dressing.
This post contains affiliate links.
I am going to cheat for my first real post. This recipe is from my mom, and it is just too good not to share. I went to visit my mom over the weekend, and she made this delicious, simple, healthy lunch. She served salmon steaks, a watercress salad, and toasted Russian rye bread. I love Russian breads – they are very dense, chewy, and flavorful – so different than most of the breads available in the bread aisle of Shoprite. This toasted bread doesn’t even need butter on it – it has so much flavor of its own. If you ever see this type of bread in your local Russian/Polish/International deli, you should try it!
Salmon Steaks with Watercress Chickpea Salad
Salmon Steaks with Sauteed Onion
Watercress Chickpea Salad
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 red bell pepper , seeds removed and diced
- 1 large tomato , diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 scallions , diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each)
- Sautee chopped onion in olive oil until the onion starts softening up and becomes translucent.
- After 5 minutes carefully flip each salmon piece, then cover the pan and cook until desired done-ness - about 5 more minutes, depending on the thickness.
- Meanwhile, season one side of the salmon with 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and salt & pepper. Add salmon steaks to the same pan, seasoned side down, then season the other side with the remaining soy sauce and lemon juice. Cook for 5 minutes. (You can start on the salad while you wait)
Watercress Salad with Lemon Olive Oil Dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients: watercress through the scallions.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl and stir. Pour dressing over the salad right before serving.