This easy Breakfast Tortilla Pizza is ready in about 10 minutes total! In this recipe, I'll show you how to make it two ways: Italian style breakfast pizza and Mexican style breakfast pizza. I'll give you directions to cook these tortilla pizzas in the air fryer or the oven.
This recipe makes a great quick breakfast or lunch with minimal prep time. It can even be a low-carb breakfast by using a low-carb tortilla, or a low calorie breakfast by using less cheese.
What are tortilla breakfast pizzas?
A breakfast tortilla pizza is a fun take on breakfast pizza where you use a flour tortilla as the crust and crack an egg in the middle of the pizza before baking it. The egg white combines with shredded cheese and bakes until solid (SO GOOD!), while the egg yolk gets perfectly runny. If you're not into a runny egg yolk, I'll share tips for how to make sure it cooks all the way through.
The tortilla gets all crispy on the outside while soaking up the sauce and flavor in the middle. You eat these tortilla breakfast pizzas by cutting them into wedges and dipping the crusty parts of the tortillas into the saucy eggy center. YUM!
If you prefer a more hearty breakfast, you can use a pita as the base instead of the tortilla, like I do in my breakfast pita flatbreads with veggies.
Below are two different variations of this tortilla pizza: Italian style with marinara sauce and Mexican style with green enchilada sauce. And I give you plenty of topping ideas for both styles. The cooking method is identical for either option, so you can play around with your favorite sauces and toppings.
This recipe literally takes a couple of minutes to put together and you don't really need to measure the ingredients, so it's SUPER easy!
More easy breakfast tortilla recipes to try: Tortilla Egg Rollups
Italian breakfast tortilla pizza ingredients
The ingredients below will make 4 pizzas. One pizza is enough for me for a typical weekday breakfast. If I am extra hungry or going for a full day of hiking of skiing, I eat two. Each pizza requires 1 tortilla, 2 tablespoons of sauce, 1 egg, and about ⅓ cup shredded cheese.
- 4 soft flour tortillas, 8-9 inches wide. These are the large taco or fajita tortillas, but they're not as large as burrito tortillas. I do not recommend a smaller tortilla because the egg will likely run off the tortilla.
- ½ cup marinara sauce or your favorite pizza sauce or tomato sauce. You'll use about 2 tablespoons sauce per tortilla.
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or Italian blend. Instead of shredded cheese, you can also use 2 slices of cheese per tortilla and tear it into small pieces and arrange around the tortilla. This is a lot of cheese per pizza, so if you're trying to cut calories, feel free to use less cheese.
- 4 medium or large eggs. If you have time to let the eggs come to room temperature before cooking, do that. This way the egg yolk will cook a little faster before the tortillas have time to brown. I do not recommend extra large or jumbo eggs because those take a bit longer to cook through, and during that time the tortilla edges might burn too much. See tips below for using extra large eggs or cooking the egg yolks all the way through, if that's what you prefer.
- 4 pinches salt and pepper, each.
- Italian seasoning, to taste. Or use dried basil or dried oregano.
- Optional garnishes: fresh basil or parsley leaves, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, grated Parmesan
More breakfast recipes with eggs: Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
Mexican tortilla breakfast pizza ingredients
I love how this Mexican tortilla pizza reminds me of chilaquiles, which is a traditional Mexican breakfast with salsa verde and crispy tortilla chips. Please see the "Italian style" ingredients above for ingredient tips.
- 4 soft flour tortillas, 8-9 inches wide
- ½ cup green enchilada sauce, or use salsa verde
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, Mexican blend, or Pepper Jack, or shredded Oaxaca cheese
- 4 medium or large eggs. If you have time to bring your eggs to room temperature, that is good for making sure the eggs cook before the tortillas start getting too brown.
- 4 pinches salt and ground black pepper, each
- Optional garnishes: fresh cilantro leaves, fresh or pickled jalapenos.
Spruce up your breakfast pizzas with your favorite pizza toppings and garnishes, such as:
- Finely diced bell pepper (use small pieces since the tortilla is very thin and it cooks quickly. Large pieces of pepper will not cook through and will be too heavy to pick up on a thin tortilla.)
- Crumbled cooked bacon (do NOT use raw bacon pieces, it won't cook in time)
- Crumbled cooked sausage or chorizo (crumble it small so it's not heavy, as the tortilla is a very thin crust)
- Small dollops of ricotta
- Crumbled feta
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Grape or cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- Diced ham
- Splash of hot sauce, added before or after baking
- Sliced olives
- Thinly sliced onion
- Diced green onions / scallion
- Try cracking 4 quail eggs around the tortilla instead of a chicken egg! You'll need to turn up the temperature and reduce the cook time, otherwise the quail eggs will be cooked solid.
More quail egg breakfast recipes: Mini Breakfast Sandwiches with Quail Eggs
- 2 large baking sheets, if using the oven (each baking sheet fits 2 tortillas). Parchment paper is optional, but makes for easier cleanup. If you can't fit both baking sheets on one oven rack in the middle, you'll place one on the top rack and swap them halfway through baking.
- Air fryer, if using the air fryer. Make sure your tortilla fits inside the air fryer basket or tray.
- Oven mitt
- Cooking oil spray - I love this refillable oil sprayer
- Sharp knife for slicing the pizzas
More easy breakfast recipes: Blackstone Cheesy Bacon Hash Browns with Eggs
Preheat oven to 385F.
Spray your baking sheets with cooking oil. Place 2 tortillas on each baking sheet.
Spread about 2 tablespoons of sauce on each tortilla, taking care to get the sauce close to the edge, within ⅓ - ½ inch.
Sprinkle about ¼ cup shredded cheese on each tortilla, saving some for later. I like to make a little well for the egg, but you don't have to do that.
Carefully crack an egg into the center of each tortilla. If you want your yolks to be fully cooked, break them and spread them around a bit on the tortilla.
Season each egg with salt and pepper. Add some more shredded cheese on top of the egg white and the sauce. Season the top of the pizzas with Italian seasoning.
Carefully place the two baking sheets into the oven. Bake at 385F for about 7-9 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. If your baking sheets are one on two different oven racks, be sure to switch them halfway through to ensure even cooking. Keep an eye during the last couple of minutes to make sure the tortilla edges are not turning too brown.
Allow the pizzas to cool for a few minutes, slice into 4 pieces, and enjoy!
More quick and easy savory breakfasts with eggs: Breakfast Lentils with Poached Eggs
Air fryer instructions
Follow the steps above to assemble the pizzas while your air fryer is preheating to 350F.
Air fry one pizza at a time at 350F for 6 minutes, or until the egg is cooked to your liking. Keep an eye on the pizza during the last minute to see if it needs more or less time for the egg yolk to cook, and to make sure the edges of the tortillas are not burning. Every air fryer cooks slightly differently, so make a note of how long your model needs and use that for next time!
More air fryer breakfast recipes to try: Sweet Potato Home Fries
→ Once you add the sauce, work quickly to get your pizza into the oven or air fryer. You don't want the tortilla sitting around and getting soggy.
→ If you are using an extra large or jumbo egg, add 1-2 minutes of cook time to get the egg white to cook through. However, this might make your tortilla edges just a little too crispy and browned. Make sure to read the tip below!
→ If you don't want a runny egg yolk, or want only a tiny bit of runny yolk, break the yolk with a fork or knife and spread it around a bit on the tortilla. It will cook through during the 7-9 minutes of baking time, or during 6 minutes of air frying time.
→ Be sure to assemble the pizzas right on the baking sheet or in air fryer basket or tray, so you don't have to transfer a wobbly tortilla with a liquid egg on top.
→ All ovens and air fryers cook slightly different, so keep an eye on the pizzas as they cook, and you might need to adjust the cook time. I promise that this recipe is WORTH experimenting with because once you get it down just right for your oven, it makes an AMAZING 10 minute breakfast or quick lunch!
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Breakfast Tortilla Pizza - Two Ways!
- 4 soft flour tortillas - 8-9 inches wide
- ½ cup marinara sauce - or your favorite pizza sauce
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese - or Italian blend
- 4 medium or large eggs - if you have time, let the eggs come to room temperature before cooking
- 4 pinches salt and pepper - each
- Italian seasoning - to taste. Or use dried basil or dried oregano
- optional garnishes: fresh basil or parsley leaves - , red pepper flakes, garlic powder, grated Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 385F or your air fryer to 350F.
- Spray your baking sheets or air fryer basket with cooking oil. Place the tortillas on the baking sheets.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of sauce on each tortilla, taking care to get the sauce close to the edge, within ⅓ - ½ inch.
- Sprinkle about ¼ cup shredded cheese on each tortilla, saving some for later.
- Carefully crack an egg into the center of each tortilla. If you want the yolk to be fully cooked, break the yolk and spread it around a bit. Otherwise, leave the yolk whole.
- Season each egg with salt and pepper. Add some more shredded cheese on top of each egg white and the sauce. Season the top of the pizzas with Italian seasoning, if using.
- Carefully place the two baking sheets into the oven. Bake at 385F for about 7-9 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. If your baking sheets don't fit on 1 oven rack, switch them halfway through to ensure even cooking. Watch closely during the last couple of minutes to make sure the tortilla edges are not turning too brown.
- Allow the pizzas to cool for a few minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs and any other garnishes, slice into 4 pieces, and enjoy!
- Air fry one pizza at a time for 6 minutes at 350F, or until the egg is cooked to your liking. Keep an eye on the pizza during the last minute to see if it needs more or less time for the egg yolk, and to make sure the edges of the tortillas are not burning.
- Allow the pizzas to cool for a few minutes, garnish with fresh herbs and any other garnishes, slice into 4 pieces, and enjoy!
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.