This Chicken and Mushroom Skillet is made with tender mushrooms, flavorful broth, and topped with sharp Parmesan. This will sure become a family favorite when you give it a try.
Every year I get so excited when the winter holiday break is here! I love the time right after the holidays when you are done with holiday shopping and gift wrapping, and you have a little extra time to slow down and enjoy life. When you can spend some time at home with your immediate family instead of running between holiday parties.
One of the things I like to do in those special winter days is cook hearty, comforting food. This Chicken and Mushroom Skillet is a perfect example. It's a recipe that takes just a bit longer to make than most of the recipes I share with you, and it is SO WORTH IT.
Even though this chicken and mushrooms recipe takes a few minutes longer, it is still very easy to make:
Tender chicken breast is dredged in flour and browned for that beautiful golden-brown color. The mushrooms and onions are sauteed to release their flavors. The garlic-herb sauce made from white wine and chicken broth takes just a couple of minutes to make, and then the chicken and mushrooms are simmered in the delicious white wine sauce to absorb all of the delicious flavors.
All of this in one pan. YUM!
To top it all off, I throw a very generous amount of grated Parmesan over the whole skillet and let it melt into the broth for a few minutes.
It is truly a tasty dinner that uses only a few ingredients.
And somehow, even though this dish is SO GOOD, it is still pretty healthy! There is a lot of protein in the lean chicken breasts, there are a ton of nutrients in the mushrooms and onions, and the white wine and chicken broth sauce is low in fat.
You can go easy on the Parmesan if you want. 😉
I love the earthy flavor that the mushrooms add to the broth in this recipe. I recommend picking out the smallest baby bella mushrooms because I like eating whole mushrooms. But if you don't have smaller mushrooms available, just chop them in half or into quarters. You can even slice them if you wish.
This recipe contains affiliate links.
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
- 4 chicken breasts - (small-medium)
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste - (about 1 teaspoon each)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil - , divided
- 1 lb baby bella or white mushrooms - , cleaned (cut them in half if they are big)
- 1 medium yellow onion - , thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves - , minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme - , or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano - , or 2 teaspoons dried
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a large plate or wide-bottom bowl. Dredge the chicken in the flour on both sides. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet and cook the chicken on medium heat about 5-7 minutes per side, or until nicely browned. Set the chicken aside on a plate (it's OK if the chicken is not fully cooked yet).
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the same skillet and saute the mushrooms over high heat for about 5 minutes, or until they start to sweat. Add the sliced onions, turn the heat to medium-low, and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the minced garlic, thyme, and oregano. Saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, but don't let the garlic brown. Add the chicken broth and white wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and cover with a lid for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted. Remove from heat and serve with your favorite side dishes.
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.