This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HeartHealthyMazola
These juicy Chicken Burgers with Guacamole are a healthier alternative to greasy burgers and they have so much flavor. You’ll love the zippy guacamole spread on top of these chicken burgers, the flavor combination is amazing! These chicken burgers are cooked with Mazola® Corn Oil and have a few ingredient swaps that make them a heart-healthy choice for your family. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
These chicken burgers come together in under 20 minutes, making them a perfect family-friendly meal, even on busy weeknights. All the ingredients can be picked up at Walmart, whether you’re shopping in person or using the Walmart Online Grocery Pickup option.
The trick to making juicy chicken burgers
Chicken burgers and turkey burgers have a reputation for being bland, dry, and boring. But it doesn’t have to be this way!
I have a trick for how to make juicy chicken burgers that makes amazingly juicy, soft, flavorful burgers every time, even if you’re starting with super lean ground chicken breast.
The trick is adding instant oats and an egg to the ground chicken mixture, as well as lots of seasonings. The combination of oats and egg mixed in with the ground chicken makes sure that the chicken is not dry and not rubbery.
For this recipe I use garlic powder and dried oregano to flavor the burgers. I often use fresh herbs in my cooking, but I actually prefer dried herbs for burgers because it is easier to really mix the seasonings into the meat, making sure every bite is flavorful.
These burgers are cooked in Mazola Corn Oil, an all-purpose cooking oil that is a heart-healthy* choice for your family. In addition to cooking burgers really well and getting that perfectly golden-brown chicken burger, Mazola Corn Oil has a variety of uses including baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
Pairing chicken burgers with guacamole
I think guacamole is the PERFECT burger topping to replace cheese. It’s so tasty, zingy, zippy, and loaded with healthy avocado fats. Guacamole is a healthier alternative to greasy cheese on a burger. Its vibrant flavor pairs perfectly with meats and with chicken.
This easy guacamole has just a few basic ingredients: Hass avocado, lime juice, diced onion, diced tomato, diced cilantro leaves, salt, and pepper.
I skipped the spice to make it super kid friendly, but if you want a little heat you can add a bit of diced jalapeño or red pepper flakes.
Using guacamole instead of cheese is one of the easy healthy swaps I made to make these delicious chicken burgers. The other healthier choices I made for these burgers are using oats instead of bread crumbs in the chicken mixture, using chicken instead of beef for the burger patties, and cooking the burgers in Mazola Corn Oil. Visit Mazola.com for more recipes and information.
Cooking with Mazola Corn Oil
I use Mazola Corn Oil in my day to day cooking because not only is it so versatile, but it also has a high smoke point of 450°F. This means that I can get my skillets nice and hot to get a nice sear on my food without making the oil smoke, which has a negative effect on the oil’s flavor and nutritional value.
On top of that, Mazola Corn Oil has more cholesterol-blocking plant sterols than other cooking oils – four times more than extra virgin olive oil and one and a half times more than canola oil. Clinical studies indicate that when consumed as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, plant sterols can help reduce the absorption of cholesterol in the gut.
This is definitely a good thing!
I hope you get a chance to try these Chicken Burgers with Guacamole! When you do, please take a picture and tag me on Instagram or Facebook. You can find me at @babaganoshblog on both. I love seeing your creations!
Looking for more burger recipes?
Looking for more recipes using Mazola Corn Oil?
- Grilled shrimp and vegetable skewers with chimichurri sauce
- Green shakshuka with homemade garlic bread
- Skinny spaghetti squash chicken Alfredo
- Pan fried Brussels sprouts with turkey bacon and Parmesan
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don’t forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
*see Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health.
For the burgers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup instant oats
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Mazola Corn Oil for cooking
- Buns, sliced red onion, sliced tomatoes, lettuce for serving
For the guacamole
- 1 Hass avocado (see notes)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice (from 1/2 lime)
- 1 Tbsp cilantro leaves, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp red onion, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- Optional: 1 tsp diced jalapeño or red pepper flakes
- Combine the ground chicken, egg, instant oats, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl, and mix well making sure to thoroughly incorporate the spices into the ground chicken mixture.
- Use your hands to form 4 chicken burger patties. Wet your hands with cold water in between forming each patty to make sure the patties don't stick to your hands. (See notes if you want to make 6 burgers)
- Heat a tablespoon of Mazola Corn Oil in a large skillet, and carefully place the burgers in the hot oil, pressing down gently in the center with your hand to spread them out. Cook for 4-5 minutes over medium-low heat, or until the bottom is golden brown. Carefully flip the burgers and cook for 4-5 minutes on the other side, or until the internal temperature is at least 165F.
- Prepare the guacamole by combining all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork and mix all the ingredients. Adjust salt to taste.
- Toast the buns, and assemble the burgers, spooning a generous portion of guacamole over each burger.
- This recipe makes 4 large chicken burgers, or 6 thinner chicken burger patties. If making 6 patties, you might need to cook them in two batches or in two skillets.
- If making 6 patties, I recommend scaling up the guacamole recipe by 1.5 or 2x, to make sure there is enough guacamole for all 6 burgers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 375Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 835mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 31g
The nutritional information displayed is just an estimate for 1 burger assuming you make 4 burgers and guacamole from 1 avocado, and not including buns or any extras. Actual nutrition will vary depending on the actual ingredients and brands used and the exact amounts used. Please consult with a dietitian or nutritionist if you are actually tracking nutritional information for health reasons.