Whoever said salads were a summer food?? Try this hearty, filling Winter Roasted Vegetable Salad with roasted sweet potatoes, wheat berries, and grape tomatoes.
This post contains affiliate links.
Between going out to eat for birthday celebrations and making things like Cheesy Grits Fritters with fried shrimp, we’ve been enjoying a lot of really delicious food lately. And while we are loving all this food, it is time to eat something healthier. That’s where this salad comes in.
I am usually not a fan of salads in the winter – I want hot and comforting food when it is cold out. But I figured out how to make myself eat fresh vegetables during the cold months – serve them with yummy roasted vegetables and other toppings with lots of texture! In this salad I top fresh leafy greens with roasted sweet potatoes and roasted grape tomatoes, then add some toasted nuts for flavor and crunch and wheat berries to make the salad more filling. Oh, and dried cranberries and feta cheese help make this salad absolutely irresistible. 🙂
The combination of all these ingredients is just lovely, especially when topped with a creamy zesty homemade dressing. The awesome thing about this salad is that it is totally customize-able to whatever vegetables you have on hand – roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted zucchini, broccoli, or cauliflower would all be awesome as toppings. You can throw in some grilled chicken or blackened salmon if you like for a high protein meal.
You might also love these other cold-weather vegetable recipes:
Winter Roasted Vegetable Salad
For the salad:
- 6 cups mixed greens (or baby spinach or arugula)
- 1 large sweet potato , cleaned, and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb grape tomatoes , halved
- 1 cup cooked wheat berries
- 1/2 cup pecans , toasted
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or use plain low-fat Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves , finely diced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove , finely grated
- Salt & pepper to taste (1/8 teaspoon each is a good start)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. Place the cubed sweet potato and the halved grape tomatoes on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Remove from oven.
- Prepare the dressing: Mix together all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the salad: On a large plate, arrange all the ingredients from roasted sweet potatoes through the feta cheese over the greens. Drizzle each plate with 2 tablespoons of sour cream dressing and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
Kitchen stuff used in this recipe:
The links within this recipe are affiliate links, which means that if you buy anything through these links Babaganosh would get a small commission at no cost to you. Using these links to shop is a great way to support this blog!