I’ve been slacking a bit, blog-wise. We got back from vacation last week and it’s been tough adjusting back to normal life – chores, laundry, waking up early for work… going to work… What is that all about?!
Last week we went to Tennessee, toured Nashville, then took a road trip to Asheville, NC through the Smoky Mountains. It was a great vacation, except it rained every. single. day. That didn’t stop us though. We still ate lots of amazing food (hello ribs, hot chicken, ribs, mac n cheese, ribs, cheesy grits, ribs…. you get the idea 🙂 ). We also did a bit of hiking and we did get lucky with beautiful weather the one morning we were doing the Blue Ridge Parkway drive to Asheville. I’ll post some pictures up on www.nonstopfromJFK.com once I sort through them all.
Since we got back, we took a small break from meat. Just a few days, nothing crazy. I made some brown rice with a vegetable stir fry in a peanut sauce, and then I made this… This delicious, smoky, spicy and cheesy Potato & Bell Pepper Hash. It came out so good! It’s hard to believe that this dish is ready in only 20 minutes from scratch.
OK, so the reason this recipe is so easy to make is because I cheated. Let me tell you about it so you can cheat too and make dinner in 20 minutes flat. I cooked the potatoes in the microwave. It it much faster than cooking them in a skillet. And then I added annatto and smoked paprika to give the potatoes that awesome golden look and to give them a delicious smoky flavor. And then you add some cheese, which just makes things better. And that’s it. Done. Enjoy!
Spicy-n-Smoky Potato & Bell Pepper Hash
Makes: 4 servings. Total time: 20 minutes.
- 4 medium potatoes, cleaned and cubed (bite sized)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large bell peppers (I used red), cleaned and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground annatto (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste (about 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon)
- Optional: sliced scallions, chives, or cilantro for garnish.
- Microwave the cubed bite-sized potatoes in a large microwaveable bowl for about 10 minutes, stirring halfway. Test the potatoes with a fork to see if they are done. If not, give them another stir and continue to cook 2 minutes at a time until the potatoes are fully cooked. Careful, the bowl might be hot!
- While the potatoes are cooking, chop the onion, dice the jalapeño, mince the garlic clove, and chop the bell pepper into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and diced jalapeño. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and continue to saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked potato cubes, the rest of the oil, the ground annatto, and paprika. Season with salt to taste. Stir everything together and cook through for another 3-5 minutes. Add the shredded cheese and stir fry for a minute until the cheese is melted all over the potato and bell pepper hash. Sprinkle with scallions, chives, or cilantro. Serve hot.