This Lemongrass Ginger Mushroom Soup with Soba Noodles and Baby Bok Choy will warm your soul and fill your belly without feeling heavy. It’s ready in under 30 minutes!
It’s been a gloomy rainy day here in NJ, so I made a pot of this lovely, flavorful, vegan mushroom soup with lemongrass, ginger, and soba noodles.
I am so glad I had this recipe on hand, because I was able to make this soup in just 30 minutes on a cold rainy day. See, that’s the bonus of having a food blog – I have hundreds of trusted recipes to refer to when I need to cook something.
The different types of mushrooms give the soup a great variety of texture. I absolutely love the little enoki mushrooms – they almost feel like noodles when you chomp down on them, and they are just fun to eat. The straw mushrooms are so pretty and perfectly adorable, and the oyster mushrooms have a meatier texture. It’s the combination of all three that makes this soup feel a little bit fancy.
Where to find enoki mushrooms
Enoki mushrooms and the other two types of mushrooms should be available at large supermarkets, and also at smaller local Asian food stores if you don’t want to buy them online. If you can’t find all 3 types mushrooms, try using oyster mushrooms (these should be available everywhere!) and quartered baby bella mushrooms – about 10 oz of each. I would not recommend using canned straw mushrooms though – use baby bella mushrooms instead!
If you’re not into soba noodles, feel free to substitute udon noodle, rice noodles or even linguine or spaghetti – just cook the noodles as long as the packaging requires before turning off the heat and stirring in the bok choy. Personally, I love me some soba noodles – I love how thin they are and their flavor. But it could also be because of the neat way they are packaged in little bundles!
This soup is kind of like a healthy comfort food dish – a big bowl will definitely make you feel warm and fuzzy inside but it will not weigh you down like other comfort foods. It is super easy to cook (ready in under 30 minutes!) and it is vegan, if you are into that sort of thing. 🙂
Lemongrass Ginger Mushroom Soup with Soba Noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallot , minced
- 1 inch piece ginger , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 stalk lemongrass , cut into 2 inch pieces and sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 6-8 oz oyster mushrooms
- 6-8 oz straw mushrooms
- 6-8 oz enoki mushrooms
- 5-6 oz soba noodles (usually 2 bundles)
- 1/2 lb baby bok choy
- Salt to taste (approximately 1 teaspoon, or less if using vegetable broth)
- Add the lemongrass, vegetable stock, water, and all the mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Add noodles and stir, cook 4-5 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked (check the packaging for cooking time!). Turn off heat, stir in the baby bok choy and season with salt. Serve hot, and discard lemongrass (it is too tough to eat).