Last updated on September 17th, 2020.
This Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip is the perfect party or game-day appetizer. Melty gooey cheese, spicy Buffalo sauce, and tender shredded chicken are topped with golden brown breadcrumbs. Serve with pretzels, chips, or cut up veggies.
I made this Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip recipe for a friend’s party. If you like buffalo sauce, this recipe is as good as it sounds. It is very easy to make, and it was a huge hit.
It’s spicy, cheesy, chicken-y, topped with crispy panko breadcrumbs, and super addicting.
Customizing this dip for vegetarians, keto, and gluten-free folks
I love this buffalo chicken dip recipe because it’s SO easy to customize. Most of the same ingredients will get you a dip that EVERYONE will love. Just make sure you label each one clearly so no one gets mixed up.
I typically make 2-3 versions of this dip when I am bringing it to a part to suit lots of diets.
Vegetarian buffalo cheese dip
I make a vegetarian one where I skip the chicken. It’s still good! Cheesy, spicy, crispy breadcrumbs… what’s not to like??
Keto buffalo chicken cheese dip
You can just skip the breadcrumbs.
Or use crushed pork rinds to top this dip instead of Panko breadcrumbs! You don’t even have to bake it. Just microwave it until everything is heated through, and melted together nicely, stirring every 30 seconds to a minute. Then top with crushed pork rinds.
Gluten-free cheesy buffalo chicken dip
I also make a version of this dip without any breadcrumbs on top for the gluten-free people. If you’re doing this, then you don’t even have to bake it either. Just microwave it until everything is heated through, and melted together nicely, stirring every 30 seconds to a minute.
Can you use gluten-free or regular breadcrumbs?
I wouldn’t recommend gluten-free or regular breadcrumbs for this recipe. They’re just not as light and crispy as Panko breadcrumbs. It’s totally OK to skip the breadcrumbs altogether!
This buffalo chicken cheese dip is great with pretzels or chips. Or if you want something healthier, it is also great with baby carrots and celery sticks. Celery definitely needs a delicious dip to be edible, right??
Make this dip in advance
This dip is great for entertaining since it can be mixed together in advance and then baked in the oven right before serving to get the Panko breadcrumbs nice and crispy. Or you can bake it ahead of time and heat it up in the microwave – it tastes great either way!
Instant Pot option
If you want to make this recipe in the Instant Pot, you can follow this Instant Pot Shredded Buffalo Chicken recipe, then stir in some shredded cheddar cheese. Serve in a bowl as-is, or transfer to an broil-safe dish and top with additional cheese or breadcrumbs and broil for 1-2 minutes, or until the top is melty (if using cheese), or golden brown (if using bread crumbs).
Don’t like blue cheese dressing? Try Ranch!
If you are not a fan of Blue Cheese, substitute Ranch dressing instead of the Blue Cheese dressing. But I think the Blue Cheese dressing flavor is not very strong in this recipe and adds a little bit more flavor that goes perfectly with the spicy Buffalo sauce.
Other party appetizers you will love:
- Cheesy chicken corn dip
- Easy salami appetizer
- Honey ginger garlic wings (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- Refried bean dip
- Hummus with feta and olives
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please let me know in a comment and leave a star rating below. And don’t forget to save it for later on Pinterest!
Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese (such as sharp cheddar, or Monterey Jack)
- 8 oz buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 10 oz can of chicken , drained (or about 6-8 oz cooked shredded chicken)
- 1/2 - 1 cup Panko bread crumbs (depending on your bake ware size)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and the buffalo sauce. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, until the mixture is soft enough to be stirred (about 2 minutes total, but stop and check every 30 seconds, since all microwaves are different). Stir well.
- Add the blue cheese dressing and the shredded chicken to the cheese dip and stir. Transfer the chicken cheese dip into your bakeware (I baked mine in two small bowls so that it is easier to serve). Top with panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes, or until the dip is bubbling around the edges and the breadcrumbs start to turn golden brown. Carefully remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving so the bowl can cool down.
- You can omit the chicken and make this a vegetarian Buffalo Cheese Dip
- Skip the bread crumbs for a gluten free keto version
- I made this dip in these wonderful Ciroa bowls - they are super adorable, safe for the microwave and the oven, and they come with a lid which is perfect for transporting the dip to a party or storing leftovers. This recipe makes enough dip for 2 bowls
- Sub Ranch dressing for Blue Cheese dressing if you prefer