Last updated on May 15th, 2019.
Cajun Shrimp Sweet Potato Hash is a delicious, filling dish filled with sweet potatoes, beans, corn, and Cajun shrimp. A complete one-pan dinner!
You know how I’ve talked obsessively about the Sweet Potato Pulled Pork Hash recipe? Well I finally made another sweet potato dish that can compare – this Cajun Shrimp Sweet Potato Hash.
It’s a similar idea and just as easy to make, but has so much good flavor plus the addition of beans! and corn! And who doesn’t love beans and corn?
The spiciness of the Cajun seasoning goes so well with the sweet potatoes. The beans and corn give it such a nice texture and make this a really filling hearty dish.
This recipe is super easy to make, especially if you buy pre-cut sweet potatoes. If you go that route, it will only take about 30 minutes to cook this from start to finish.
But if you decide to cut up your own sweet potatoes… don’t you find it therapeutic to chop vegetables? I do, when I am not hungry.
What you’ll need for this Cajun Shrimp and Sweet Potato Hash Recipe:
Aside from all the ingredients, you’ll need a few things to cook this recipe:
- A large skillet, such as this one. I used a cast iron skillet because I like how it gives the sweet potatoes a nice crust. Any large skillet will work.
- A citrus squeezer (such as this one) to get fresh lime juice. Freshly squeezed lime juice gives this dish a more fragrant, fresher flavor.
- Cajun seasoning. I love this seasoning from Healthy Solutions because it doesn’t have salt added to it, and doesn’t have any funky preservatives added. This way I fully control the amount of salt and the amount of seasoning that goes into my dishes. One of these packets is enough for several recipes and is a great solution for not having old spices sitting around in your pantry losing flavor over years.
Every bite of this Sweet Potato Pulled Pork Hash is a delicious savory combination of flavors. Make this with leftover pulled pork - you'll soon be making EXTRA pulled pork just for this recipe! Top with an egg to really take this to the next level.
A delicious one-pan dinner, this sweet potato sausage skillet can be made with sweet or spicy Italian sausages and your favorite bell peppers.
A delicious twist on the classic latke recipe, these sweet potato latkes (sweet potato fritters) are absolutely addicting. Top with the delicious and healthy yogurt sauce made with fresh garlic and cumin.
Another twist on a classic potato recipe, this Sweet Potato Leek Soup tastes super creamy, smooth, and rich, but it's actually vegan and very healthy!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know with a comment and a star rating below! And don’t forget to save it for later on Pinterest:
Cajun Shrimp Sweet Potato Hash
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning , divided
- 1 lb shrimp , thawed if frozen, tails removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 large yellow onion , diced
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes , cubed into 1/2 inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 1 24-oz can kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can corn kernels , rinsed and drained
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or cilantro for garnish
- Prepare all the ingredients: rinse and chop the sweet potatoes, dice the onion, drain and rinse the kidney beans and corn. Clean the shrimp.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cleaned shrimp with 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning. If your Cajun seasoning doesn't have salt, add a generous pinch of salt. Stir well. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and then add the shrimp. Cook shrimp about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until fully cooked. Set aside onto a clean plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the same skillet and add the diced onion. Saute the onion for about 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to soften. Add the cubed sweet potatoes, the remaining olive oil, and the rest of the Cajun seasoning and stir well. Continue to cook for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are full cooked, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and corn, and stir well. Allow to heat through for 2-3 minutes, and then add in the shrimp and lime juice. Stir well. Remove from heat and garnish with chopped chives or cilantro.