Last updated on May 8th, 2020.
A one-skillet recipe for Garlic Chili Chicken and Peppers Stir Fry with a delicious spiced tomato sauce. Spoon the sauce over pasta or rice – you’ll love this easy healthy chicken dinner idea.
I am the queen of one-pan recipes lately! To be honest, I just haven’t been feeling up to making elaborate dinners that take up every burner of my stove.
I want quick, flavor-packed dishes. Luckily there are a ton of recipes you can make in about a half hour in just one skillet.
This Garlic Chili Chicken with Green Bell Peppers is one of my favorite recipes. It is super easy to prep and cook (30 minutes from scratch!) and extremely healthy because of the lean chicken breast and bell peppers.
It’s packed with flavor thanks to fresh garlic and delicious smoky chili powder.
Tips to make this Chicken and Peppers super quickly:
- You can chop the chicken, season it (with salt, pepper, and chili powder), and start cooking it immediately in a large skillet.
- While the chicken cooks, clean and slice the bell peppers, onion, and mince the garlic. Use a garlic press (such as this one) or a microplane zester (such as this one) for super quick minced garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, and cook until the bell peppers are cooked to your liking and your house smells wonderful.
What makes this Garlic Chili Chicken and Peppers Recipe extra tasty?
- The sauce in this Garlic Chili Chicken recipe is made from fire roasted diced tomatoes. I love using fire roasted diced tomatoes because the blackened roasted tomatoes add a whole other level of flavor to my dishes – there is a sweet and smoky flavor to the fire-roasted tomatoes that you don’t get in the regular diced tomatoes. So don’t skimp on the fire roasted tomatoes in this recipe!
- The garlic, onions, and peppers are added in the last step of the recipe, which means that they give the whole dish an extra boost of flavor because they are not overcooked. The bell peppers and onions stay nice and crisp, and the three garlic cloves give everything a wonderful garlic aroma without being overpowering.
- Fresh chili powder without added salt is also key to maximizing the flavors of this dish. Here is a great recipe for homemade chili powder mix if you want to make your own, but of course you can also buy chili powder. I like this one here from Simply Organic because it doesn’t have salt added. That way you can add lots of it to get all the flavor without making your recipes too salty.
Tips for the tomato sauce for this recipe:
For this dish, you can use either one or two cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes – it all depends on what you will serve this with and how much sauce you want.
If you want to make sure you have lots of sauce to serve with pasta, rice, or polenta then I recommend using two cans. If you are serving this with a side that doesn’t need too much extra sauce (such as roasted potatoes), then you can easily use one can. It’s totally up to you, and the cooking directions are the same whether you use one or two cans.
I recommend topping this Chicken and Peppers dish with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Parmesan adds a bit of savory, nutty flavor to the dish that works wonderfully with the warm spicy flavors of the recipe.
So if you are looking for a little something different, a little something delicious, and a very simple healthy dinner, you should give this garlic chili chicken and peppers skillet a try. Let me know in the comments if you make this, I love to hear from you!
Shop for this recipe:
Other easy healthy dinner recipes you’re going to love:
- Shrimp in tomato sauce
- Chicken and sweet potato soup with black beans
- Instant pot BBQ pulled chicken
- White fish fillets in tomato caper sauce
- Spinach and mozzarella stuffed chicken breast with roasted tomatoes
- One-pan linguine shakshuka with mozzarella
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don’t forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later:
Garlic Chili Chicken and Pepper Skillet
- 1 lb chicken breast, thinly sliced (about 2 small-medium chicken breasts)
- Salt & pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 green bell peppers , seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 or 2 14 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken breast, salt, pepper, and chili powder and mix well.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet, and add the seasoned chicken to the skillet in a single later. Cook for 7-10 minutes over medium heat, stirring every few minutes.
- Add the sliced bell peppers, sliced onion, and minced garlic cloves, and stir well. Add the diced tomatoes (including the liquid - see notes!) and stir. Cover with a lid and allow to stew for about 5 minutes, or until the peppers are cooked to your liking and the chicken is fully cooked. Stir well and remove from heat. Serve hot, spooning the extra tomato sauce over pasta, rice, polenta, or your favorite side dish. Top with freshly grated Parmesan.